• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cat converter question

sdigs

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to chase down an over heating issue and someone said the cat might be plugged up. How owuld I know? I had an emissions check a few months back and passed just fine. would that indicate that it is OK?

That would indicate that it was OK a couple months ago. Dump too much fuel and it could be clogged by now. What year XJ?

You could remove the cat and try looking through the core.

You could use a vacuum gauge to check for a plugged exhaust.

I've read here that an IR thermometer will indicate wether or not a CAT is functioning.

Its a 94, 4.0l automatic. I had the problem before the emissions test also so i think it is good. How would you check with an IR thermometer? i'm guessing i would shoot temps at the inlet and outlet of the Cat and a large difference would indicate obstructed flow.

If it is working, the output temp should be higher than the input temp.

Nope, the cat when working correctly will always be hotter on the out, than in. If it's plugged you have heat before, but not after. If it outright quit without clogging, the heat would be the same.....

Back