• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys Cut-Outs or Bushwhackers?

SpenceXJ

NAXJA Forum User
What do you guys think? I love the look of the Whackers but the flexibility of the rustys are amazing. I need them for medium to hard off-road duty. For example, I completely broke off my stock rear fenders.

This is on a 99' XJ with 3" soon to be 4.5" lift and 32's or 33's. Haven't decided yet.

I have the bushwackers for street legal reason but if your going to wheel it hard your eventually going to ruin anything plastic you bolt to the side of your rig. If you don't need flares where you live just run it like it is. I know the wackers bolt on but not sure about the Rusty's if the mount with sticky tape that might be better if they just pop off rather than crush,crack and break off like mine did. I have only had problems in a few towns in Jersey(not my hometown) I just avoid them and try to fly under the radar if I have to. If you do run flares I would remove them before you wheel it, At $300 a set it's not really worth it.

I have the Bushwackers to remain street legal in Atlanta, as ehall said, if you rub on rocks or trees they will break.
I've had some success with using polyurethane construction adhesive and fiberglass mat to build up the inside, then fill the rest with expanding foam.
The mounting system that is supplied plain sucks, backing up the machine screws with washers and nuts helps alot.

I bought wackers and selling them without installing them.
I bought the flexy. nonpaintable rustys and am installing them this week.

Pros: Rustys are flexible
allow for more cut out in front rear wheelwell :spin1:
sold individually in case of damage

Cons: about an inch narrower(less coverage) :tear:
like a noodle to install (very flexible)

However they appear to make a 33x12.5 on 3.75bs wheels legal.

Back