• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead Console

SgtPhox

NAXJA Forum User
I was directed to this site from Jeeps Unlimited. A user by the name of 2000CherokeeXJ had posted in a thread saying that he had created a write-up on how to install an overhead console in late model XJ's. I've tried searching through the forums for said write-up but all i've come across is folks wishing to sell theirs.

So my question is, has anyone attempted this? If so, what were your results? Also, what wiring / components is preexisting and what needs to be purchased for the install?

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated as I've been trying to find the best way to mount switches and other electronics in my vehicle without it looking like a hack job and an overhead console seems to be the best course of action.

Also, on a completely unrelated note. Would anyone happen to know what is the output amperage of a stock alternator at idle?

Thanks again!

Let me know if you have any questions when installing the console. I am the one with the writeup for a 97-01 XJ.

Yes, It has complete pictures to go along with it. Some are of my XJ while others are from other members on NAXJA.

File sent, please let me know if you have any questions.

Alex

Thank you very much. This should help me a lot when I go to do the actual install. The only thing i'm curious about if it hasn't been mentioned before is if the features like average mpg, miles to empty, etc work if you pull a console from your same model year?

Thanks.

The only thing i'm curious about if it hasn't been mentioned before is if the features like average mpg, miles to empty, etc work if you pull a console from your same model year?

The actual overhead console is the same for all years 1997-2001. I have tested one of each year in my 2000 and they all have worked. The only difference from year to year is the wire harness. You can adapt any 1997-2001 OHC to any 1997-2001 XJ Cherokee. If you pull a console from the same year as your Cherokee it is plug and play.

Last edited:
Back