• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 60 overkill?

jerseyjeep01

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for some opinions on running a Dana 60 rear. Currently I'm on 35's and may be going to 36's in the future. I came across a d60 housing cut to 61" wms to wms with 1310 pinion yoke, carrier for 4.56+ and 35 spline alloy shafts. Is this axle too heavy for an xj? Seems that most around here have the 8.8 for d44. Only reason I'm considering is because of a decent deal. Input appreciated! :wave1:

a dana 60 is wayyyyyy overkill for an xj. an 8.8 or a 44 would be more than tough enough.

lol, wut?

If overkill is wrong, I don't wanna be right. :D 35 spline chromo shafts, high pinion, and disk brakes are dead fawkin' sexy. ;)

tera60r.jpg

lol, wut?

If overkill is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

never said overkill was wrong. i wouldnt tell someone not to build to an overkill mentallity, hell all the stuff ive built for mine is overkill.

the question was simply if a 60 is overkill, and it is. i would run one in mine it didnt cost twice as much to get and build as my 8.8 did, wich is more than enough for an xj.

A 60 is certainly not overkill.

Its got the highest low pinion of any common axle, its very strong and much lighter than other axles of comperable weight (14b, 9").

35 spline semi float 60 is probably the best rear axle you can throw under a rig, minus maybe a true high 9 setup, but the 60 will have MUCH stronger gears. :)

never said overkill was wrong. i wouldnt tell someone not to build to an overkill mentallity, hell all the stuff ive built for mine is overkill.

the question was simply if a 60 is overkill, and it is. i would run one in mine it didnt cost twice as much to get and build as my 8.8 did, wich is more than enough for an xj.

It's one of those questions that gets answered with a question, really. What do you need for where you are/where you go? 33"? 35"? 37"? Start going up past 35" and you're getting into bigger territory.

I like that I don't have to worry about breaking the rear end for what I do and for my driving style. I like that the extra weight holds the rig down in nasty off-camber situations that I find myself in. It's not for 'everyone', but to say "which is more than enough for an xj" is silly when you don't know what someone else is into.

To tell you the truth..... at times I get a little carried away with the skinny pedal. With 35"+ a locker 5.13 gears and a possible future stroker a dana 60 is a peace of mind. For a $150 the above included which I have stated seems like a good deal and start!

Its got the highest low pinion of any common axle, its very strong and much lighter than other axles of comperable weight (14b, 9").

35 spline semi float 60 is probably the best rear axle you can throw under a rig, minus maybe a true high 9 setup, but the 60 will have MUCH stronger gears. :)

Meh. I'd honestly rather have a shaved 14B. Full float, bigger gears, 1.5" shafts, cheap/easy to rebuild/build.

to each their own though ;)

Last edited:
nooooooooooooo, it'll fold like a taco...

I'm looking for some opinions on running a Dana 60 rear. Currently I'm on 35's and may be going to 36's in the future. I came across a d60 housing cut to 61" wms to wms with 1310 pinion yoke, carrier for 4.56+ and 35 spline alloy shafts. Is this axle too heavy for an xj? Seems that most around here have the 8.8 for d44. Only reason I'm considering is because of a decent deal. Input appreciated! :wave1:
How much is this "decent deal?
What type of terrain are you on?

Depends on what/how much is left of your "XJ". :dunce:

I agree until you said semi-float. I'd rather go full floater. Oh wait, I am. :D

Meh. I'd honestly rather have a shaved 14B. Full float, bigger gears, 1.5" shafts, cheap/easy to rebuild/build.

to each their own though ;)
Meh, personal preference. I went D60s front a rear so a lot of the parts become the same. Not knocking the 14bff, that'd be a excellent choice as well.

i don't beleive so.

I built my 60 for about as much as my old 44, and my ring gear doesn't strip anymore, so that's a plus

I saw an XJ at a local shop this week getting a Ford 9.75 put under it.
The owner wasn't around but I asked the guy working on it about it and he said the stock shafts are alloy have a higher torque rating than a 35 spline Dana 60 axle and they have big disc brakes.
Anyone else using one of these? How wide are they?

I saw an XJ at a local shop this week getting a Ford 9.75 put under it.
The owner wasn't around but I asked the guy working on it about it and he said the stock shafts are alloy have a higher torque rating than a 35 spline Dana 60 axle and they have big disc brakes.
Anyone else using one of these? How wide are they?

Thats insane!!! I'm in favor of putting 60's under your Jeeps, but what the hell do you need an axle like that if your not building a truggy of buggy??

Anything bigger than a 60 on a "normal" Jeep seems a waste of time??:dunno:

Keil

Back