• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.2 pan fit on 4.0?

Stallacrew

NAXJA Forum User
Long story, crossthreaded the pan plug on my 4.0, have an extra 4.2 pan, and I wanna get rid of the leak. I have my TC cover off and it would be easy to swap right now.

Can I use a 4.2L pan on my 4.0?

--Alex

Well it should fit, but heres my confussion.... if you crossthreaded the pan bolt the problem wouldn't be your oil pan because of the fact that it bolts into the block. Sounds to me like you should just chase the threads in the block so it threads in correctly again, but then again maybe I just misread it.

No not the pan bolt, just the PLUG bolt...drain plug that is. It's crossthreaded and leaks.

i think he means the drain plug for the oil pan, as far as i have read the blocks are pretty much the same just different rotating assemblies.

i had YJ's 4.2 oilpan on my reman engine when it came out the shipping crate. they do bolt up.

unfortunately the front axle chewed into the "chin" of the pan and no amount of prying on ithe pan's skidplate would give enough clearance for full axle travel.

In addition to the skidplate bonded to the pan, the sump was set farther forward. The pumpkin on the front axle chewed into the corner of the pan. But a few dents from a hammer and it might work...

Last edited:
Back