• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Medium Duty springs or HD springs w/my BB 2" lift

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
Well as the tittle says, I currently have a 2" BB lift from RC w/2" spacers up front and adjustable 1.50-2" shackles in the rear. Unfortunately now after about 7 months and some wheeling the rear springs are looking like sad face, w/no arch at all....:mad:.. I want to get some new leafs but am torn between the medium duty and the HD leafs from Quadratec. I know w/either one I could set them on the 1.5 setting until they settle, but want to know if I'll net anything from the medium duty ones. Don't want the jeep to looked all raked in the back and have to lift the front more to compensate w/the HD's. Soo guys w/experience w/both any recommendations for once they settle which'll be the better of the two to work w/my shackles??

TIA guys...

depends on the weight of your XJ... the medium duty springs will be at factory height for a late model XJ (97+) with all the options, skid plates, tow package, etc. for a pre-96 XJ, it'll give anywhere up to 1" lift (early 4cyls).

HD springs will give .5" lift on the heavy XJs, 1" on average weight, maybe closer to 1.5" on the early light models.

just remember to buy new bushings, as they aren't included with the springs (dunno why, but most leaf springs dont come with bushings).

depends on the weight of your XJ... the medium duty springs will be at factory height for a late model XJ (97+) with all the options, skid plates, tow package, etc. for a pre-96 XJ, it'll give anywhere up to 1" lift (early 4cyls).

HD springs will give .5" lift on the heavy XJs, 1" on average weight, maybe closer to 1.5" on the early light models.

just remember to buy new bushings, as they aren't included with the springs (dunno why, but most leaf springs dont come with bushings).
Thanks on the hardware bit, already priced everything out(it's pretty rediculous how they've shot up in price over the last 6 months). I have a '98 Classic(no skid but will have a hitch). The medium duty even when settled should net more lift than my saggy leafs now, correct?

yeah, the medium duty springs should be about an inch taller, maybe a bit more than your current ride height. (middle of center cap to bottom of flare should be 17" for a stock XJ. 17.5" for the front. add your shackle lift to that to get an idea). you'll be close to the stock measurements, maybe 1/4-1/2" higher than stock, depends on the Jeep.

yeah, the medium duty springs should be about an inch taller, maybe a bit more than your current ride height. (middle of center cap to bottom of flare should be 17" for a stock XJ. 17.5" for the front. add your shackle lift to that to get an idea). you'll be close to the stock measurements, maybe 1/4-1/2" higher than stock, depends on the Jeep.
Thanks Whatevah. That's what I'm looking for. The rear shocks are bottoming out over speed bumps and such, soo this should help.

i ran the 2" RC BB for 2 years and had the same problem with saggy leaves. Do yourself a favor and get full length coils in the front and take the spacers out, you can stay around 3-3.5 without messing with the steering and T case. If your going to put the money into new rear leaves, then just go ahead and do the whole thing... OR. you could go the cheap route and pick up some used leaves off a newer XJ that still have some arch... and add a leaf. that would run about 70 bucks if you find some cheap used leaves, then hit up craigslist and find some 3" coils or go to a pull yard and take some off a Grand Cherokee V8. Homebrew kits are fun.

i ran the 2" RC BB for 2 years and had the same problem with saggy leaves. Do yourself a favor and get full length coils in the front and take the spacers out, you can stay around 3-3.5 without messing with the steering and T case. If your going to put the money into new rear leaves, then just go ahead and do the whole thing... OR. you could go the cheap route and pick up some used leaves off a newer XJ that still have some arch... and add a leaf. that would run about 70 bucks if you find some cheap used leaves, then hit up craigslist and find some 3" coils or go to a pull yard and take some off a Grand Cherokee V8. Homebrew kits are fun.
I might end up getting either some new 2 or 3" coils up front, but am for sure going w/whole new leafs in the rear and keeping my shackles..

Well, I decided to get the medium duty springs and use them w/the shackles. If they start to sag or if I'm not satisfied w/the height I'll add a leaf from my stock leafs... I did measure the front and it's about 1/2" lower than should be w/the spacer. Might just get a 2" lift spring and get rid of the spacer... Anybody interested?

If using Heavy duty springs and the jeep isnt heavy(no swing out tire carrier and stuff) enough will it cause it not to flex the springs?

Back