• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extra fuel pump

traljnky

NAXJA Forum User
My fuel pump started acting up today and almost left me stranded. The pump is only about 3 years old and came from the stealership. My question is, can I mount an aftermarket pump along the unibody rails so I'll have a spare in case the factory one takes a dump? Would the spare still be able to pump gas through the bad pump ? Also after I got the heep running again the maintenance required light was on, is this just a coincidence ? It's a 91 with a 4.0.

How is your fuel filter? Sometimes the fuel sock at the pump is the problem. How about the CPS and associated wiring?
We trail -fixed an external fuel pump from a mid eighties mustang in place of the fuel filter.
There is a NAPA filter that you could install at the same location (fuel filter). I could dig the part # up.

Also after I got the heep running again the maintenance required light was on, is this just a coincidence ? It's a 91 with a 4.0.

The maintenance required light is just a reminder to change your O2 sensor. So it's just a coincidence. I pulled my cluster and yanked that bulb out.

What I would do is forget the in-tank pump and just keep the pick-up and screen from it and use an external pump. You'll just have to make a return line from the external pump after the regulator, back to the tank.

Pros: Super easy to replace a filter, super easy to replace the pump if it fails.
Cons: There's no fuel to keep the pump cool, so it gets very hot. Most external pumps are made to handle it however. Also, it's subjected to the elements as well as rocks.

That's about all I can think of right now. I thought about converting to an external pump when my in-tank went out. They're a LOT cheaper but I wanted the reliability of an in-tank pump. I mean, come on, my first one lasted 200,000 miles so I figure it's gunna be a while (hopefully) before I have to replace it again.

Back