• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Softtop material-where can i buy it?

uvaldetxj

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone here know where I can buy some softtop material, or something similar. The only person that comes to my mind would be revden. I chopped up my XJ and I want to make a cover for it, something similar to the TJ Windjammer/Duster look. I need a piece 5'x5', and another piece 5'x6'. Maybe someone knows!!!

Any ideas on how I would go about making a the rear window? This project is still in it's early phases, but the tops already cut so there's no going back.

Anyone here know where I can buy some softtop material, or something similar. The only person that comes to my mind would be revden. I chopped up my XJ and I want to make a cover for it, something similar to the TJ Windjammer/Duster look. I need a piece 5'x5', and another piece 5'x6'. Maybe someone knows!!!
Try here...

[SIZE=-1]Automotive Trim Work Etc
524 E Pecos St[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Uvalde, TX 78801, United States[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1](830) 278-3958
[/SIZE]

Are you planning a roll cage to hold it together, now that the unibody structure is gone? If so, you might want to do that first and then you can cut soft-top pieces sized to snap onto that frame.

Well I want to keep a comanche type look. I plan on building some type of reinforcements, but they're going to have to be out of eyes view.

Will canvas material work? I was thinking about buying canvas, and spraying it with scotchgard or that 3M waterproofing stuff you can find at sporting goods stores.

Well I want to keep a comanche type look. I plan on building some type of reinforcements, but they're going to have to be out of eyes view.

Will canvas material work? I was thinking about buying canvas, and spraying it with scotchgard or that 3M waterproofing stuff you can find at sporting goods stores.

I don't mean to be a spoil sport, but I seem to be hearing that you haven't spent much time thinking about the structural integrity of the vehicle. You might want to do some searches on here and over on pirate4x4.com and read up on the "unibody" concept and converting an XJ to topless. Even if it seems kind of insubstantial, the XJ top contributes to the overall strength of the vehicle. Without it,

Are you going to be doing any offroad wheeling? There are stories of guys who cut off their tops, went wheeling, and by the end of the day the doors and hood wouldn't open any more, and cracks were appearing in the floor board. Also, it becomes a potential death trap if you roll, without a cage or roll bar.

Yeah, i've actually done a little bit of wheeling in it already. The body doesn't seem to flex as bad as alot of people say. I cut down the window frame of the hatch and graffed it onto the back where I cut it. I don't know if that fiberglass helps it any, but the body doesn't seem to flex as bad as everyone says. By no means did I mean for that piece to reinforce the jeep, but to give it a smoother appearance where it was cut.

xjeep.jpg

yeah i am with him on the no flex thing. i did the exact same thing to my xj and have seen no body flex. we even picked the one end up with a forklift. i think u only run into problems when u cut the whole top off and not just doors
100_0997.jpg

dont knock it till u try it!

o yeah if u want a roll bar try to find a yj roll bar for cheap. the main hoop is perfect it just needs like 4 inches off the bottom.
heres a bad pic of mine
100_1051.jpg

Yeah, I was thinking that you cut off the whole top - keeping that door pillar behind you probably helps a lot, I think I remember reading that is an important support. And I see you don't have to worry about doors getting tweaked by a few sixteenths. Still, I wish you'd get a roll bar.... but I'll shut up now, and just say more power to you. It does look like fun.

On canvas material, here's an idea, for whatever it's worth. I've heard you can get good deals on high quality canvas pieces from tent rental places, not like personal camping tents, but the places that rent out big tents to companies and churches and that kind of thing. They're in the Yellow Pages under Tent Supply.

An upholstery supply shop (the place where your local uphostery shops get thier material). There are different weights of canvas available but I use something called "coastguard". It is a marine fabric that is guaranteed UV resistant for like 5 yrs and is very water repellant. I have a local shop sew up spare tire covers with it.

Back