• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

are Short Arm Or Long Arm necessary

ComforableInChaos

NAXJA Forum User
okay i basically have budget boosted about 4 inches of my xj.
and now i wanna go to 6 inches or 6.5. I was wondering whether
or not short arm or long arm suspension components are necessary dealing
with that kind of height?

-trey

Long arms are not necessary at 6in if you have drop brackets for your short arms but i personally wouldnt run short arms on that tall of a lift.
Long arms are safer and provide better stability in my opinion.

My BIL runs a 6.5" Rc with their arms and no drop brackets and it wheels great. However, drop brackets are just like an SYE. Some people can get away without doing it and other run into castastrophe if they don't.

In my opinion, budget or no budget, there is no reason to not do it the right way. Which in most cases means the safe way.

My BIL runs a 6.5" Rc with their arms and no drop brackets and it wheels great. However, drop brackets are just like an SYE. Some people can get away without doing it and other run into castastrophe if they don't.

In my opinion, budget or no budget, there is no reason to not do it the right way. Which in most cases means the safe way.

You loose droop without the drop brackets. The RE drop brackets lower the mount points 4" on the frameside, so at 6" of lift it's like it's on a 2" budget boost. The articulation with drop brackets compared to non-drop brackets is HUGE. Plus the ride without drop brackets sucks, you feel quite a bit more since the arm is at a pretty steep angle.

yes, you need one of those so called 'lift kits'
theres no getting around those angles using stock geometry.
you care about ride/handleing, right?
two options,
1-db, with the introduction of the rc brackets, you have no excuse to use stock geometry at that height...
2-long arms = the way to go

okay i basically have budget boosted about 4 inches of my xj.
and now i wanna go to 6 inches or 6.5. I was wondering whether
or not short arm or long arm suspension components are necessary dealing
with that kind of height?

-trey

Over 4 inches you need drop brackets for your short arms. Not my choice due to how low they are! They will get caught or drag on everything!! Without drop brackets your ride will SUCK!! With your arms more vertical than horizontal your ride will be very rough!! Look at the stock set-up, the arms are horizontal!! I would go longarm if you can afford it!! The flex and ride quality is second to none!! I recommend BDS longarm, top notch 4-link!! If I were to go radius arm TnT is the best! Good luck! Oh yeah, you get what you pay for!!

Back