• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changed my tranny fluid

bigalpha

I had to replace that rubber transmission line because it was leaking, so I changed the transmission fluid too.
When I drained it the first time, it was so dark, it almost looked like motor oil :shocked:

2854049299_9c732b4f62.jpg

index.php

Ha, I forgot about the question part. I drained, drove (shifted through all gears) , refilled 3 times, and while the fluid got somewhat lighter, it's still really dark.

I figured the fluid woulda lightened up so much more. Did I miss something?

When you drain the fluid from an auto, it only gets about 1/2 the fluid out. The converter doesn't drain. When you refill and run around, the fluid mixes. The old Chrysler autos(TF727 and TF904) had drain plugs on the torque converters to drain them. Now the shops use a machine that pushes fluid through the cooler lines and cycles about 12 quarts through to flush out the old stuff. The home version involves drain/fill/drive 2 or 3 times

Draining from the pan of the AW4 only removes a bit over 3 quarts. Do it a few times to gradually cycle to all fresh fluid. A couple of more times should do it as it sounds like you've done it 3X already.

I've had the same thing with mine. I usually drain the transmission pan every time I change the oil, every 3k or so. I've run about 3 gallons of fresh fluid through the tranny in the last year or so and it still comes out dark...have no idea why. :huh:

I've drained the pan and refilled 3 times. Each time, I managed to get the fluid on my hands. Each time, it was very dark ... much darker than the fresh fluid.

When I slosh the fluid around in the milk jugs, it coats the jugs ... it's pretty dark - even from the 3rd change.

How many times do you have to cycle the fluid before it comes out looking like it went in; if that's even possible?

I can't seem to find the total capacity for the AW4 anywhere - my usual bible, 5-90's website, gives way different values for different years, but I'm going to go with his number for 01s, which I think is about the correct number for all of them - 8.9 quarts.

Based on that, a drain and refill of 3 quarts, 1 time, will change 3/8.9 or about 34% of the fluid.

2 times changes that 34% plus 34% of the remaining 66%, or about 56% overall.

3 times changes 71% overall, and 4 times changes 81% overall.

Also, besides the dark color, bad ATF often has a "burned" smell to it, while the new stuff of course does not. Did you notice any improvement in the smell as you drained and refilled?

The smell and color marginally increased as I changed the fluid each time.

However, I wouldn't call it a significant change.

Mine is like that.. Im gonna have to dish out 45$ on a case of ATF and unhook on of the trany lines and do a home flush.

Back