• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Box Leak?

avnsteve

NAXJA Forum User
how common is it? I've swapped PS pump with JY replacement, still foams the fluid, so I got a new High pressure hose, new O-rings, topped up fluid, bled it according to the various threads here. Still foaming, and still leaking, what are the odds, I see PS fluid coming down from the lower radiator hose, which makes no sense to me, and can only guess it's residue from previous messes. anybody had this much trouble before, and how did you fix it?

Mine foamed and groaned until I topped it off with a dash of "oh chit wrong bottle" synthetic rack and pinion fluid. It's been working fine since.

It could be something internal, but I suspect it's something to do with the quality or type of fluid.

it was the reservoir, i've since taken it apart, and replaced the O-ring between pump and reservoir. cleaned up and checking for more. 8Mud, what about that "synthetic rack and pinion" fluid do you suppose fixed your problem?

Universally applicable synthetic hydraulic fluid (extreme high and low temperature), Liqui Moly brand. Man M 3289, VW TL 52146, BMW 81 22 9 407, Opel (GM) 1940 756 are the applications.
I didn't fill up the entire system with it, just toped it off, about a half cup or so. Foaming and groaning disappeared. I always figured on replacing all the fluid, but decided to work on the premise if it isn't broken don't fix it.
My pitman arm shaft seeps a little and it hasn't gotten any worse in the last year, so I doubt this fluid affected any seals.
I'm thinking the original fluid may be the problem (I really can't remember which brand it was, maybe Gunk brand), the synthetic mix worked like an anti foaming additive.

Last edited:
Back