• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case swap - shifter is backwards?

mfascuba

NAXJA Forum User
Just swapped in a remanufactured NP242 selec-trac into my 1997 Sport. Getting the shift linkage back in was the toughest part of the whole job, and now the pattern looks like it's backwards, and won't engage in 2wd. I've got to take it out for a drive and see what it's doing for real, but I thought it would be more straighforward.

Also, two of the mounting studs were too short so for now I'm running with four bolts holding the case to the back of the trans instead of six.

Part of the job was to do an SYE installation, the Tom Wood shaft fit fine. I'll take it on the highway and see if my vibration at 80 is gone.

Any help or advice on the linkage would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Mark

Mark

Looking into this swap as well, let me know how it works out.

As a point of information, there was a 242 in there, it was getting loose and making noise. Got the reman, put the SYE yoke on before I put the unit in so I've probably voided warranty by opening the case.

Mark

We have a winner!Sounds like the case was set-up for a TJ or YJ(I forget,one of them or both are flipped compared to the XJ).

yep just make sure your linkage is on/ adjusted right BEFORE you drive.... trust me you will regret it if you do not have it adjusted right...:lecture:... i bought a Dodge Dakota (with a np231) for cheap because of a nasty clunk while driving... well because of the fact that the guy did not adjust the linkage after his body lift, the planetary gear and the 4wd shift hub are both destroyed and im scared of driving it lol

Is it possible that you have the pivot arms in backwards? Here's a pic of the linkage as it should be:

parts_004__Custom2_.jpg

HTH! :thumbup:

I've got the linkage in right - I undid the nut where it attaches to the side of the case on the old one and reattached it on the new one. The linkage was never disassembled, just disconnected. After the swap I had to pull out the rod that goes between the pivot assembly and the case link to get the adjustment to work again, but at that point there is really only one way to put it back together.

I sent an email to the remanufacturer - I'll see what response I get. Either way I'll post the answer.....

Mark

We had a similar problem when we replaced a 231 transfer case on a 97 TJ, but it wasn't backwards, it was in the wrong position. The input arm for the 97 has an input shaft slot that is angled to the long side of the shifter arm. The one we had to replace it, had the slot either at right angles or parallel to the long side of the shifter arm (I can't remember which).

Make sure you have the right shifter arm.

Well, after pondering quite a bit I've decided to pull the reman and use the rotating parts (planetary assembly, new chain & sprockets) to rebuild my existing case. Then I'm putting my worn out stuff in the new case and sending it back as the "core". I bought the reman from drivetrain.com and they have not returned my email. So much for customer service.

Mark

Ahh ha!! I just looked at the picture on another post, I had the link to the shifter upside down. I had it pointing up, it's supposed to point down. Now I can get this thing completed.

I pulled the remanufactured unit, gutted it and put the guts into my old case. I drove the reman for about 5 miles, when I pulled it apart there were metal shavings in the pump pickup, and the magnet was "fuzzy". Anyway, I flushed out the old housing with brake cleaner, got all the metal flake gone, then installed the new chain, output shaft, front output bearing, front input bearing, etc into my old housing, RTV'd it back together and reinstalled it. I've got the NP242 swap down to about 3 hours of actual work.

Anyway, my last challenge is the shift linkage. I broke some of the green plastic bushings, does anyone know where I can buy a set of them to go thru and replace them all? They don't look like they will be too expensive, just hard to find.

Thanks,

Mark

Anybody know where to get the repair kit for this TSB? This would fix the last of my problems for the moment for good.

Thanks,

Mark

Transfer Case Shifter - Creaking/Thumping Noise

NO: 21-09-98
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: Jul. 31, 1998
SUBJECT:
Transfer Case Shifter Noise
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER 21-02-97 REV. A, DATED, JULY 11, 1997, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILE AND NOTE IN THE 1997 BOUND TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN MANUAL, PUBLICATION NUMBER 81-699-98004. THE BULLETIN ADDS MODELS AND ADDITIONAL PARTS. THE CHANGES ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS**.
MODELS:
1993 - **1998** (ZJ) Grand Cherokee/Grand Wagoneer1994 - **1998** (ZG) Grand Cherokee (International Market)**1997 - 1999 (TJ) Wrangler****1995 - 1999 (XJ) Cherokee**
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A thumping or creaking noise may be heard coming from the transmission tunnel area on acceleration or while driving over bumpy roads.
DIAGNOSIS:
Road test the vehicle, if the noise is present and there are no worn or damaged parts relating to the transfer case shift mechanism, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
1 04886481AA Repair Kit, Transfer Case Shifter (ZJ/ZG)**1 05014148AA Repair Kit, Transfer Case Shifter (TJ/XJ)**
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This bulletin involves installing a transfer case shifter repair kit.
1.Disconnect the shift rods from the torque shaft.

78491707.gif
2.Remove the torque shaft by prying the shaft out of the green torque shaft bushing in the transmission bracket. (Refer to Figure 1) Install new bushings on the torque shaft for XJ and TJ.
3.Remove the bronze bushing/retainer and rubber gasket from the body bracket.
4.Remove the green torque shaft bushing from the transmission bracket and install the new bushing supplied in the kit. Insert the new gasket into the body bracket.
5.Install the bronze bushing/retainer and tightening the screws to 5 Nm (45 in. lbs.).
**NOTE :TJ AND XJ MODELS USE THE ORIGINAL TORQUE SHAFT WITH THE NEW PARTS SUPPLIED IN THE XJ/TJ KIT. ZJ/ZG REQUIRE REPLACEMENT OF THE TORQUE SHAFT WHICH IS SUPPLIED IN THE ZJ/ZG KIT.**
6.Slide the boot on to the torque shaft and apply multipurpose grease (MOPAR p/n 04318063 or equivalent) to the area that the bronze bushing will contact.
7.Install the torque shaft and seat the boot on the bushing retainer flange.
8.Connect the transfer case shift linkage and adjust as necessary.

POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No: **21-03-10-93** 0.6 Hrs.FAILURE CODE: P8 - New Part

We have a winner!Sounds like the case was set-up for a TJ or YJ(I forget,one of them or both are flipped compared to the XJ).
Duh!!

Back