• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is better CV joints or U-joints?

fitbmxseries1

NAXJA Forum User
i had t0 replace my axle shaft today and no one carries them with the U-joint on them any more so i had to buy a CV joint for it instead. Putting it on was a breeze and it only cost 40$ but are they not as strong as a u joint?

Where did you look for axles? I have never seen c/v axles for XJs in stock anywhere, they are always U-joint type & new non-disco type usually come with the 297 joints. They discontinued c/v joints in XJs in the 80s because they were crap. Any good auto parts store will stock 260 & 297 joints.

ZJ d30's had cv joints. This should've been just a 20 buck u-joint replacement.

my axle shaft was cracked where the u joint goes in, ended up braking when i used a press to push out the bad u-joint.

the guy at the auto place said the u-joint has been replaced with cv-joints for all jeeps with solid axles. ( got it from advanced auto) every other auto place i went to doesnt even have an axle shaft cv or ujoint to replace it with.

any one know any aftermarket ones i can buy? For now the cv joint will do, i dont plan on wheeling it till october so if i have to find one at a junk yard i will.

i had t0 replace my axle shaft today and no one carries them with the U-joint on them any more so i had to buy a CV joint for it instead. Putting it on was a breeze and it only cost 40$ but are they not as strong as a u joint?
The ball type CV joint is usually mechanically stronger than most stock U-Joints when new. However, if the rubber boot seal splits or the securing strap is lost or loose, the joint quickly wears out and the outer shaft can separate from the joint.
AC.jpg

In my opinion, U-Jointed shafts are far better for off road vehicles as they are cheaper to buy, easy to change in the field, and can last much longer when they start to fail.

it kinda sucked at the time because i was at my work with the jeep on the lift when broke the shaft, i didnt have a way to go pick up the parts. I had to have advanced auto deliver (they were the only ones that would on saturday) I called around but no one had such parts instock and i needed the jeep that day.
So should i replace the other u-joint that is brand new with a cv? or should i replace the new cv with a u-joint? It bothers me that i have one of both at the moment! Getting my new tires in a few so while i got it onthe lift i may replace one of the shafts. I was told by 2 people that cv joints are way better and will last longer, and 2 other people said any extreme condition (ex. Offroad type of driving) that they will tear apart. So i am on the fence with this subject, Not having any experiance with cv joints before i dont know how long they last. I do know that both of my U-joints have lasted up to 100k though and havnt had any problems until having to replace them.

The ball type CV joint is usually mechanically stronger than most stock U-Joints when new. However, if the rubber boot seal splits or the securing strap is lost or loose, the joint quickly wears out and the outer shaft can separate from the joint.
AC.jpg

In my opinion, U-Jointed shafts are far better for off road vehicles as they are cheaper to buy, easy to change in the field, and can last much longer when they start to fail.
im also wondering what is the gear that is on the outside of the shaft?

Something is not adding up here. $40 for a complete front axle assembly with a C/V joint? That sounds pretty doggone cheap to me.

You'd also need to replace both the inner and outer shaft, not just the one with the cracked yoke.

I've seen XJs and ZJs in the boneyard with CV joints. Usually an older XJ Limited, or a ZJ with the always-on Quadra-Drive. My '98 Grand had a 242 case, and U-joints, but my friend's '95 Orvis Grand has Quadra Drive, and CV joints.

Back