• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifting with stock control arms?

CMK4425

NAXJA Forum User
I want to put togethor my own lift and was wondering if I had control arm drop brackets could I use the stock control arms until I got aftermarket ones?

Yes, they should work. The RE 5.5" kit uses stock length control arms. However, I'd say just lift it once and be done with it. Shop around. RE's vendors do a "Minimum advertised Price (MAP)" and lots of times you can find places that will sell for consideribly less. Oh, whatever you do, avoid Rusty's, his junk fails, and it could cost you your rig, or life. Seen 2 rusty's trackbars break.

How high do you want to lift? 2-3", stock arms in the factory brackets work fine.
Once you go over 3.5" or so, drop brackets help restore the control arm angles. (Drop brackets move the frame connection points down 3-4")
Any application you come up with that a "stock length" replacement control arm set will work with, the factory arms will also work with.

I have the stock arms on my xj with 4.5'' coils and it works great. I have heard of the bushings whering out on after market ca's, and causing problems. So I say keep em stock

I was thinking of lifting it around 5" using the DPG coils and leaf springs. I was also going to use the rough country drop brackets, not sure what trackbar, would like JKS discos, Rancho shocks, etc.... I just feel like I could get better quality parts if I pick and choose what I want.:wow:

get the HD RE trackbar, bracket and brace....awesome stuff.

for shocks, i'd pick something other than rancho - and if you talk to Dirk at DPG, he could probably recommend the best shock for his springs

if you wanna pick and choose you're gonna end up spending more money in the end instead of buyin a solid kit and bein done with it. RE's kits are usually always good. skyjacker is good too, but costs too much for what you get. i've never used a teraflex lift other than the skackles and spacers but they seem ok

I usually do the same that way in the end I have what I want , I don't think any one Manufacturer makes all of the components I prefer . When choosing a track bar make sure if it comes with a mount of any kind it don't screw up your track bar and drag link relationship so ya don't create something you didn't have to begin with " Bump Steer " .

Back