• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj in progress

TBCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, got 2"BB, 30x9.5 tires.
2001 xj sport.
new longer shocks, and steering damper.
spacers for wide stance.

now what? i can't figure out what mod, is the best next step.
is a DD .
not sure if skids, tow points,hitch,etc.???lockers?

What do you guys consider most inportant mod. if on trails to have.

hit the trails and break what you can, then spend your money on those items...

selarep said:
hit the trails and break what you can, then spend your money on those items...

Great Advice................:twak:

Lets break shit on our Daily Driver so that we have to spend more money to get it fixed asap; rather then planning on what we would like and waiting for deals to come along. Effin' retard

TBCherokee said:
hey guys, got 2"BB, 30x9.5 tires.
2001 xj sport.
new longer shocks, and steering damper.
spacers for wide stance.

now what? i can't figure out what mod, is the best next step.
is a DD .
not sure if skids, tow points,hitch,etc.???lockers?

What do you guys consider most inportant mod. if on trails to have.

That is the most important thing you can have... I will not even attempt a simple tug unless you have recovery points of some sort..

If something breaks off your jeep it is coming my way.

This picture is worth 1000 words... Get recovery points !!!!

NearMiss.jpg

thanks good advise ! guys
i'll get recovery points first thing!
then skids and lockers.
thanks!

Is factory or add on later, front towe hooks, and rear hitch good enough? strong enough?
any product better than another on after market stuff.

JAS said:
This picture is worth 1000 words... Get recovery points !!!!

NearMiss.jpg

anyone have a better quality image of this? this pic would help teach a very valuable lesson.

TBCherokee said:
thanks good advise ! guys
i'll get recovery points first thing!
then skids and lockers.
thanks!

Is factory or add on later, front towe hooks, and rear hitch good enough? strong enough?
any product better than another on after market stuff.

Factory tow points will work just fine, a lot of people use them, Im sure there's stronger ones out there but I've never heard of someone ripping off there factory tow hooks, not saying it hasn't happened, I've just never heard of it.

stewie said:
anyone have a better quality image of this? this pic would help teach a very valuable lesson.

That picture turns up all over the internet as recovery gone bad. Even in a hard copy that I found the quality is not all that good.

I find that humor works pretty good for getting the point... Nobody was hurt... and shows the importance of good recovery points. :D

http://webpages.charter.net/laurajeff44/MIJeeps/snowtowcar.wmv

For $130 I got a Hidden Hitch front tow hitch with two recovery loops and a two inch reciever in the middle. Class III too. You'll need to cut your air dam up a little though, but that will give you more clearance. JC Whitney. Really makes the front al lot stronger and stiffer.

At the rear, since I won't tow, I used a hook. The rear hitch reduces the departure angle too much. The Rocky Road rear shackle is pretty sturdy also.

Yes, front diff skid from Rusty's cost 65 bucks, and a Warn TC skid cost 80 bucks. They make a skid for the front hitch also, which, I'll get next, because it has taken some hits already (no damage, just paint rubbed off).

Oh yeah, ditch the rear sway bar...that won't cost anything.

Just my 2 cents...IMHO
Best regards,

Last edited:
i would say to do tow points and at least rocker skids near the same time, cause if you put a rock into the rocker, it will be tough to open the door.

Back