• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RTV around bolt heads

fyrfytr1717

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed my Tom Wood's 242 SYE Kit yesterday (I know that's modified tech, but my question is pretty basic) and shortly after going to bed I realized that when I sealed up my rear output shaft housing I did not run RTV around the bolt holes, only around the perimeters of the two openings in the TC.
:doh:

This is the way I did the main TC housing (and also how I typically do my dif covers) as the bolt holes don't penetrate the housing and therefore have no potential for leaking. However, the four bolt holes that hold the rear housing on the TC do penetrate into the main housing and are exposed to (not submerged in) ATF. Have I set myself up for leaks, and if so what is the best way of solving this problem? I'm expecting to hear one of the following replies:

A: The combination of LocTite and proper torque will keep the oil in, no worries

B: Remove the bolts, coat the threads with some RTV, bolt them back in

C: Don't be lazy... remove driveshaft, remove rear output yoke, remove speedo gear, remove rear output housing, clean and prepare mounting surfaces, run RTV around the openings and the bolt holes, put it all back together again.

I'm really hoping that if A is not sufficient, B will do the trick. Seems to me that if coating the splines inside the bore of the yoke is sufficient to keep the ATF in, coating the threads on the bolts should be as well...:dunno:

A light coat of RTV on the threads is what I would do.

Wayne

Thanks, I think I'll give it a shot. I guess worst case scenario, it leaks and I have to go with option C anyways.

Option B. RTV under the screw heads won't seal anything - but RTV around the threads will.

Also, since it shouldn't be a pressure seal, you can also use PTFE "pipe dope" - it serves much the same purpose, but may be handier for you. Don't bother with "pipe tape" - I tend to consider it marginal at best. I've long since stopped using PTFE tape in favour of PTFE paste, and I've not been disappointed. PTFE paste also tends to hold up better against oil & fuel.

5-90 said:
Also, since it shouldn't be a pressure seal, you can also use PTFE "pipe dope" - it serves much the same purpose, but may be handier for you. Don't bother with "pipe tape" - I tend to consider it marginal at best. I've long since stopped using PTFE tape in favour of PTFE paste, and I've not been disappointed. PTFE paste also tends to hold up better against oil & fuel.

You know, the more I thought about the instructions telling you to run a bead around each bolt hole, the more it bothered me. Even with a seal around the hole, there would be nothing keeping the oil from seeping through the threads and out from under the bolt head. Sealing the threads themselves make much more sense. Maybe they figure if you run it all the way around the hole, the excess will squeeze into the threads when you put it all together.

fyrfytr1717 said:
You know, the more I thought about the instructions telling you to run a bead around each bolt hole, the more it bothered me. Even with a seal around the hole, there would be nothing keeping the oil from seeping through the threads and out from under the bolt head. Sealing the threads themselves make much more sense. Maybe they figure if you run it all the way around the hole, the excess will squeeze into the threads when you put it all together.

"Around" usually means "to the inside" - you don't usually make a full circle around the screw hole. And, if the screw hole isn't "blind" (it goes into a fluid reservoir or pocket,) you're better off just coating the threads when you put the screw in anyhow. Just because you've sealed the cover with a circle of RTV doesn't mean you'll get leakage past the threads and shank - seal the threads, and you've solved the problem.

You don't need to get stupid with the stuff, either. Put a light coat on the last 3-4 threads, make sure it goes all the way around, and alles gut.

You don't need to get stupid with the stuff, either. Put a light coat on the last 3-4 threads, make sure it goes all the way around, and alles gut.

That's funny... German? Always thought it was das es gut. :laugh:

When reassembling my transfer case yesterday I encircled each bolt hole, with the exception of the two sleeved ones. I also used PTFE paste on the threads of the 4 on the rear retainer as they penetrate the main case. I'm hoping for the best and will find out how I did when I get home from work tomorrow morning.

Back