• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OFFROAD ball joints

emr1101

NAXJA Forum User
Ive heard moog ones are nice and tough, are these guys some OEM mock ups or are these actually the good Moog ones? Not sure if moog sells "hardcore" and "oem quality" ball joints... My jeep offroad shop told me for 35s it would be a good idea to run the moog ones... here they are

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/d...eeQQMoogQQBall_JointQQ19842001QQMOK3134T.html

K3134T.jpg

yeah when i went to have them replaced he had 3 options, OEM copy, spicer, and MOOG. he siad oem kinda sucked its just some random company, he said spicer is pretty good they are what come stock and he said that MOOGs are more expensive but are what you should get if you're running 35s... guess nobody really knows what im talking about so ill shut up :)

emr1101 said:
yeah when i went to have them replaced he had 3 options, OEM copy, spicer, and MOOG. he siad oem kinda sucked its just some random company, he said spicer is pretty good they are what come stock and he said that MOOGs are more expensive but are what you should get if you're running 35s... guess nobody really knows what im talking about so ill shut up :)

I don't see the difference between the spicer and moog. Both are good parts, but think about this. The hole in the C knuckle is the same size, and the taper is the same size. So, really the only thing they can do is use better material to make it. I'd be willing to bet that Spicer and Moog's are comparable. IMHO both are "The good stuff". So it's whatever you're happy with. I'm running the spicers because the price was better. Most guys around here use the Spicers with 35's. Besides it's like 30 minutes/side to change them with the right tools. :)

markw said:
...,it's like 30 minutes/side to change them with the right tools. :)
Ya, but unless you're a tool junkey, who has the right tools for that?

"Damn, that would look good on my tool bench!,... What's it for?":D

My personal preference is Spicer, but Moog makes great parts also. You won't go wrong with either one.

well the only reason i ask is this guy has been in the business for over 30 years, he owns Four Wheeling of Raleigh and has spent his years building $50k+ crawlers. his son was in competions when they first started and did really well (i forget all his rankings). He said that the cheap ones are garbage, but its a good idea to go with good ones because tires love to eat up ball joints on jeeps, he made it clear that MOOGs were the way to go if oyu run 35s or higher, im sure i wont be breaking ball joints either way, but what i dont want is any play at all. even the slightest amount of play, which you wont notice unless you check for it, will ruin your tires. and if im spending $700-900 on tires they better not get destroyed in 10k from some crappy ball joints failiing :)

I think im gonna go with the MOOGs, just cuz i am really anal about my front end being PERFECT right now... i dont want death wobble and i dont want to see my next set of tires meet the same fate as my bfgs :(

tbburg said:
Ya, but unless you're a tool junkey, who has the right tools for that?

"Damn, that would look good on my tool bench!,... What's it for?":D

My personal preference is Spicer, but Moog makes great parts also. You won't go wrong with either one.

My list of axle tools is getting pretty long. :) Figured why pay someone when I could just buy the tool for the same amount. I've got pretty much all the special tools required to do anything to a jeep axle. OTC ball joint press, diff bearing tools, case spreader, etc...

Don't get the shitty harbor freight one. It's like $30 and mine cracked right in half the first time I used it.

Ball_025sm_NO.jpg
I haven't used this for ball joints...yet, but for really stubborn things I usually tap on the end with a hammer a little the shock seems to help if things are binding

I've been using the same Harbor Freight press for years with no issues whatsoever. +

The driverside of my XJ has spicer balljoints. They have been there 3 years and are tighter than a tee-- .. they're tight.

I've put 2 sets of Moog and 2 Crown in the passenger side in the same time, and its time to replace them again. The last set lasted me 3 trail runs.

Go spicer or back to camp.

:)

I've heard bad about crown, mixed about moog, and good about spicer. Should be an easy enough decision.

And I hit the press on the "screw". If I was wailing on the C the whole time I would expect it to break...

Back