• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple lift questions (trimming, 33" tire fitment)

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
1. Do any of you trim the quarters to fit 33s with say, 4.5" of lift or maybe 5.5" of lift? Fenders can be replaced. Quarters are a little harder than that. Flex is hardly an issue.
2. If the angles are "perfect" (minimal vibes, if any) on an evenly lifted 4.5" XJ, 242 tcase, would it be possible to fit an extra 1" of lift to make sure the 33s fit? Keeping in mind this XJ has 4 degree shims, no t-case drop.
I'm asking these questions because I really don't want to hack up a perfectly good XJ's quarter panels, but I want to fit 33s. I have an RE 3.5" full leaf pack system that actually netted me at 4.5" of lift in the back (after waiting a long time for the springs to settle) and 3.5" in the front with a 1" coil spacer. If the springs do decide to settle more, I want to know I can be prepared with a bigger shackle or AAL and make sure I won't run into driveshaft issues or worse, SYE. Pics would be appreciated for ideas. Thanks.

Or would 32s be better for me? I just forgot I have 3.55 gearing and don't really want to regear, although half the people I asked said don't regear, the other half said yes.

I started out with the RE 3.5" lift. In the front I added a 1.75" coil spacer and removed the stock rubber isolator, so it really added 1.5". In the rear, i had the RE 3.5" full leaf packs, and added a 1.25" RE extended shackle. I just put some 33" Trxus MTs on 2 weeks ago. I'm trimmed high up front, and to the seam in the rear. I also cut and folded the quarter panels for clearance. I have no rubbing in the rear. The only rubbing in the front is when I turn full lock. The tires rub on my Rock Krawler long arms.

If you trim, and cut/fold the quarters, you can fit 33" easy on that setup, especially if you add a shackle in the rear.

As far as DS issues, I have a SYE and a 6* shim. most of my vibes are from the front, but they aren't bad.

Kenny

I'd like to keep the lift lower than usual, and maybe the tires bigger. I'm not sure if I should run 32s instead because I hear I definitely won't need to regear and the gas mileage would be slightly better. However 32s are harder to find. I don't care about the fenders, I could hack those up. The quarters is what I'm worried about, unless you guys think if I was to sell the vehicle that it wouldn't hurt the value (granted I don't screw up the cuts).
I want to take off the fender flares and make my own custom tube ones. I hope to gain some sort of clearance from those. Custom bumpers as well. I love how some of you guys have such clean rigs and yet keep the hacking to a minimum. That's what I plan on doing.

Last edited:
Back