• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Searched, cleaned, nothing... 96 part time light

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,
Ever since I repaired the floor of my 96, and "winterized" the bottom with oil, my part time (231) light doesn't come on when 4wd is engaged. Bulb is good, socket good, 4wd works fine. Again, light worked fine previous to floor repair and oil hose down.

I've been searching through info over the last 2 or 3 days, and I'm completely out of ideas.

I'm linking a couple images of the 2 connections that I've cleaned underneath. The first is what I believe to be the electric switch on the transfer case. The shot is from under the front, looking to the back. The second is a white connector with 3 terminals (only 2 are used though), that had an orange wire and a black wire coming from it. This is right along side the transmission pan. IIRC, at one point I saw something about these 2 colored wires (orange and black) being connected to the switch.

All I can think of is that maybe something in the wiring under the console (on the inside) got messed up when I had it all tore apart, and the console removed. BUT...I don't *think* there's anything under the console that could have been messed up?

I know this is no big deal to a lot of people, but something like this will drive me crazy until I figure it out. Thanks for any help!

part1.jpg

Looking towards the back of the vehicle, front driveshaft on the right, connector on top of transfer case

part2.jpg

Looking directly up, transmission pan in top of picture

If you have good continuity through both wires and the bulb is good, only thing left is the switch in the T-case. Mine went bad in my 01 231.

DaffyXJ said:
If you have good continuity through both wires and the bulb is good, only thing left is the switch in the T-case. Mine went bad in my 01 231.

Haven't checked continuity, since I'm not sure exactly where the switch wires are routed. how much was the new one btw? Thanks!

The connector for the switch is on the top of the TC,mine was a PITA to reach,when things were hot.Forgot to plug in when the TC was R&R,d.
One of the connections you cleaned was the Vehicle Speed sensor wires/3 wires/R,/BK/LB,WT/OR(wire color)
4WD switch-2 wiresBK/RD,BK
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
The connector for the switch is on the top of the TC,mine was a PITA to reach,when things were hot.Forgot to plug in when the TC was R&R,d.
One of the connections you cleaned was the Vehicle Speed sensor wires/3 wires/R,/BK/LB,WT/OR(wire color)
4WD switch-2 wiresBK/RD,BK
Wayne

Thanks, but the connections I cleaned only had 2 wires each. I thought the speed sensor was the large connector on the tail end of the case? The first image is a 2 wire connector on the Top of the case. The second image was a 2 wire connector too.

The server where I had the images hosted is down, so I'm updating the images in this post too.

part1.jpg

Looking towards the back of the vehicle, front driveshaft on the right, connector on top of transfer case

part2.jpg

Looking directly up, transmission pan in top of picture

Yea i just had this happen to me the other day...popped it into 4 wheel just on a straight away and the light didn't come on...just wondering if anyone knows what it is i am still kinda confused after reading the thread.

if your front wheels are pullin who the cluck fares. my light went out on my 88 and 96. 4wd still working

skyjackedxj96 said:
if your front wheels are pullin who the cluck fares. my light went out on my 88 and 96. 4wd still working

Yeah, true.... but some people (myself included) just can't stand but to obsess about stupid things like this :)

Still no solution BTW.

Back