• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar install after BB

mbogosia

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I just installed some 2" spacers on my XJ and I am having trouble getting the track bar back in. Anyone have any tips? I have tried jacking it up more and more but I just can't get it. It is about 1" too short right now. ANy help would be great.

I've heard of using ratchet straps to try to pull the axle over.

I've never done it myself though. Your axles will be off center.

First of all, get 2 people. Get your front end in the air, but leave the tires on the ground so they still have some grip. Have one person move the wheel back and forth while the other puts the bolt back in. Easy as that.

Okay, right now I have everything else disconnected. I will button everything up and put the wheels on and go from there. I just wanted to make sure it didn't have to go on first.

Ahh, okay I see what your saying. Well, I left it on jackstands on my driveway for the night. I was jsut too tired and that is when mistakes happen. I'm sure I will get it figured out in the morning. Thanks for your help.

I got the AAL in pretty easily. I thought I would fight every bolt but I didn't. The front hasn't been bad until now. I knew once I was taking everything apart(tie rod ends, track bar, steering damper, etc..) that it wouldn't go back as easily. That is usually the case.

I did this today... get a trac bar relocation bracket from a 4 wheel parts store and pull out the trac bar from the stock bracket on your XJ.. (the side that mounts to the axle) put the new track bar bracket in and it will all make sense and your axles will be center. mine were off about 2.5" after a 3.5" lift in the front. its worth the 38 bucks for the new bracket and only takes about 15 minutes.

SurfXJSnow said:
I did this today... get a trac bar relocation bracket from a 4 wheel parts store and pull out the trac bar from the stock bracket on your XJ.. (the side that mounts to the axle) put the new track bar bracket in and it will all make sense and your axles will be center. mine were off about 2.5" after a 3.5" lift in the front. its worth the 38 bucks for the new bracket and only takes about 15 minutes.
Those brackets are junk,get a real trackbar.I have one I loan out to noob's,I always get it back after they figure out they need a real trackbar!

Well, I might go that route if it doesn't go back in. However, It looks like I could simply drill a new hole roughly 1" over and it would be good. I need to make absolutely sure it won't fit first though.

Also, I really don't think I should need a new trackbar for a 2" lift should I?

Thanks

RCP Phx said:
Those brackets are junk,get a real trackbar.I have one I loan out to noob's,I always get it back after they figure out they need a real trackbar!

You was a noob once smarty!! :gee: ..............:roflmao:

mbogosia said:
I got the AAL in pretty easily. I thought I would fight every bolt but I didn't. The front hasn't been bad until now. I knew once I was taking everything apart(tie rod ends, track bar, steering damper, etc..) that it wouldn't go back as easily. That is usually the case.
Did you take all that apart because you didn't have a spring compressor?
When i did mine all i had to do was unbolt the shock and swaybar.

Dang! Still can't get it connected. I might end up at 4 wheel parts buying an adjustable track bar. Or I might have to drill a new hole.

I don't see how it's causing so much trouble? Loosen up your lower CA bolts, get your tierod outta the way, and move the wheel while someone attempts to put the bolt back in. I had mine on a lift when I did it, dunno if it makes it any different.

As mentioned above, with the truck sitting on its own weight, have someone move the steering wheel to the left or right. It will move plenty to get the track bar in.

~James

stumpXJ said:
As mentioned above, with the truck sitting on its own weight, have someone move the steering wheel to the left or right. It will move plenty to get the track bar in.

~James

Exactly. the trackbar should be the last thing to hook back up. Finish the lift. Then have someone turn the wheel left or right until the trackbar lines up. I'm not sure if there was another task at hand, but there's no reason to mess with the ball joints or control arms when installing a budget boost. As someone else mentioned, swaybar and shocks only, plus the spring compressor.

GOT IT! Damn I was doing it all wrong. I set the truck down on its wheels and had 2 neighbors lean on the body. I then slid the bolt in. I finally finished up about a hour ago.

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully this thread helps someone else in the future.

Here are a couple pictures. Not a huge Difference but it is a better stance. Its hard to see the difference with the black fenders and the dark shadows in between the wheels and fenders.

Before:
DSC02632-1800.jpg

After:

DSC02825-1800.jpg

It's so cute and tiny... I forget how short they are stock. :)

Back