• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlights what one for DD

dobbs571

NAXJA Forum User
Hello has any one used these and what is the diff in them 200mm h4 6454 e-code and 200 mm hid euro diamond crystal lights just want some thing cheap .what are the like driving with them and what should I get. dont want to hear I need Hella,s because I am not spending that much.

dont know the answer, but i would make sure that you have a good 12v at the light socket. dont know what year your xj is, but on my 89, upgrading the wiring made the biggest difference in how well the headlights work.

With lamps, you very much get what you pay for. Pop for the Hella - as far as quality goes, they're a very good match for the price (you can get better - but it gets spendy fast. It's easy to do worse - and the "Euro Diamond Cuts" are usually a good deal worse.)

I won't say you "need" the Hellas - but if you don't want to spring for that much right off, go get Silverstars instead. They have consistently good reports from the field. eBay "Euro Diamond Cuts" are spotty at best - and I've heard more about bad beams than good on just about anything less than Hella.)

I have Silverstars high performance in my jeep, just the bolt in replacements. They are a world better than what was in there when I got the jeep. They are a bit too white for me though and seem to wash out in the rain. I also removed the stock fog light deflector and they add alot of light down onto the road. I plan on doing the wire harness upgrade and see what that adds for me later on.

I have Silverstars cool blue in my car and like them much better. The cool blues have a better color for me and are really just as bright as the high performance lights.

iwannadie said:
I have Silverstars high performance in my jeep, just the bolt in replacements. They are a world better than what was in there when I got the jeep. They are a bit too white for me though and seem to wash out in the rain. I also removed the stock fog light deflector and they add alot of light down onto the road. I plan on doing the wire harness upgrade and see what that adds for me later on.

I have Silverstars cool blue in my car and like them much better. The cool blues have a better color for me and are really just as bright as the high performance lights.

If you deal with rain, snow, and/or fog often, consider finding an amber light for your main - or a damned good amber auxiliary. White tends to reflect back in foul weather (ever have a white-out in a really bad flurry? It's like being inside a ping-pong ball...) and blue can be even worse.

That's why good fog lamps are amber in colour, and have a wide diffusion pattern cut into the lense. Pencil beams don't do you much good going over the Grapevine in a dense fog, either...

5-90 said:
If you deal with rain, snow, and/or fog often, consider finding an amber light for your main - or a damned good amber auxiliary. White tends to reflect back in foul weather (ever have a white-out in a really bad flurry? It's like being inside a ping-pong ball...) and blue can be even worse.

That's why good fog lamps are amber in colour, and have a wide diffusion pattern cut into the lense. Pencil beams don't do you much good going over the Grapevine in a dense fog, either...

Well, living in Az I hardly ever drive in the rain. I think at the most 5 times for 2008 sofar and not even sure those were all at night...

Id like amber for my fog lights but Ive never looked into the bulbs or anything. I know on my car the fogs are just normal bulbs with colored glass caps that fit over them. People suggest painting the outer lens but theres gotta be just a bulb replacement thats easier...

Some old tymer(used to rally race in germany) told me the best solution for normal night driving are pencil beams.

Buy a set of PAL ecode lights off ebay, their cheap, but as good as hella. I can't tell the diff in them. They send a set of bulbs along with them. I'm running 80/100 and don't seem to blind anyone when aimed right. Plug & Play.
But you need to upgrade your wiring, which if you want good lightsyour gonna have to do anyways.

Hugh said:
Buy a set of PAL ecode lights off ebay, their cheap, but as good as hella. I can't tell the diff in them. They send a set of bulbs along with them. I'm running 80/100 and don't seem to blind anyone when aimed right. Plug & Play.
But you need to upgrade your wiring, which if you want good lightsyour gonna have to do anyways.

I did the same ones and they work great. Really good output. Id get a pic for ya but since I am in Houston right now we kinda have a hurricane that we are dealing with at the moment. Actually surprised my elec and cable are still on at this point...

iwannadie said:
Well, living in Az I hardly ever drive in the rain. I think at the most 5 times for 2008 sofar and not even sure those were all at night...

Id like amber for my fog lights but Ive never looked into the bulbs or anything. I know on my car the fogs are just normal bulbs with colored glass caps that fit over them. People suggest painting the outer lens but theres gotta be just a bulb replacement thats easier...

Some old tymer(used to rally race in germany) told me the best solution for normal night driving are pencil beams.

He is entirely correct - for "normal night driving" (I have both - Hella 500's with 100W bulbs in a white pencil beam, and Hella 500's with a 50W bulb in amber for fog work. Switched separately, and independent of the headlamps.) I can see where you wouldn't get much rain - and if I recall correctly, Gilbert is down by PHX, so you probably don't see an awful lot of snow, either. Get any dust storms? Bright white lighting can play hob with that, but not as bad as rain/snow/fog (all of which are more reflective than dust or blown sand.)

Post Scriptum - your cables are on the way. Just wanted to get that out while I had your attention...

Hella or IPF!!! The rest is crap! I run the Hellas and love'em!!

Hello I am going to make a wiring up grade checked the voltage. This is what I got at battery motor not running 12.39 at socket no light 11.18 with light installed on low beam 10.51.With motor running at battery 13.86 at socket no light 13.06 with light 12.39 I plug in a 55 watt h4 with motor running 11.74 on low . So have to upgrade wiring.So the clear lens diamond from autopal or not good . So I need to get the e-code h4 from them.

Hella H-4 e seem to have a better reflector, the Cibie seems to defuse a little less (seem to spot a little more) and seem to have a much thicker and more robust case.
I prefer the Hella, but much of it has to do with the bulb, they come in all sorts of tints (spectrums). I prefer the slightly yellow or sun spectrum for city, bad weather and low speed off road driving with the Hella. The very white or slightly UV with the Cibie for the highway or faster offroad night driving. I tend to get more dark shadows with the Cibie, better depth perception with the Hella.
The Cibie with the whiter light don't do well in rain, snow or fog.

Ok thanks for all the input from every one. My jeep is a 92 xj Ladro forgot to say that. Got a fu things anserwed .Think I will order the h4 e-codes from autopal on ebay for now then get some Hella later maybe next yr I know it more money in the long run buying two complet light set but when money tight things happen. The wiring upgrade has to be done anyway from what I can see from my test a lot of voatage lost thru wires. And that alone will make a big diff I hope.And will go with white 55/100 watt blubs I should get fairly good lights from this for now.

Back