• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 knocking solution

skyysipper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97, 4.0..

The engine was knocking so I decided to put in a new set of rod bearings. Cyl 5 had spun and metal chips throughout so took everything apart and thoroughly cleaned up. I used various fine sandpapers to smooth the crankshaft journal. Now after I put the pistons in the new bearing for cyl 5 did not want to stay in the rod (loose), but I stupidly put it in anyway. So I'm thinking the rod got warped, and hopefully not the crank too much at least.

Time, cost, and logistics prevent a proper repair or engine swap right now, and am looking for a ~3000k mile solution.

I really only have two viable solutions:

1) I just slap a slightly oversize bearing in the probably warped connecting rod on the probably slightly warped crankshaft,

*or*

2) would I be better off ripping off the head and putting a new piston with non-warped connecting rod with a new a) standard or b) slightly oversize bearing on the probably slightly warped crankshaft.

Any help or thoughts?

there is no proper fix for what you've got, you can run as is for 3k miles then do it right, but you're facing the problem of what size bearings to install, you need to be able to mic those parts to be sure you have the correct size, and you'll like waste money buying a "set" of bearings only to get the one of that size that you need. You also face the challenge of resurfacing that one crank journal correctly, or well enough to not ruin another bearing. My bet is run as is for the estimated 3k miles, then do it right, or get another set of wheels for a short while...

Plasti gage the bearing with the crank in four different positions. If you get fairly consistant readings, put an over sized bearing in there. I can get everything from .001 to .030 bearings here in hicksville Germany, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding a match.
You can actually mix different sized bearing halves to get a good fit.
I'd be concerned why number five messed up in the first place. Maybe blow some air backwards through the oil passages.
My 88 went through a period of erratic oil pressures and what appeared to be a partially blocked oil passage. I got lucky and it cleared itself.

avnsteve,

It is knocking pretty loudly with the new standard size bearing in there, and I think it's mostly due to the warped connecting rod. Shouldn't I be worried about it throwing the bearing again and rendering the car useless (metal shards everywhere) before I can fix it properly (after ~3000 miles)?

all,

Does anybody advise doing one of the two things I mentioned as a way to more confidently get the car home...?

what 8mud says is true, if you have the time, run the plastigage and see if the dimensions are consistent around the journal, and then get that size bearing, that's the shortest "cut" i would bother to take if anything at all, otherwise, I'd just haul it home...

Back