• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Power...Electrical Problem?? HELP!

poloplaya

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 Cherokee that just started having an electrical problem. It won't start, but the real problem is there is no power at all. The dome light won't turn on, the power locks don't work...nothing. The weird part is, sometimes there is power, sometimes there isn't. When there is power, it starts up right away and has no problems. I have checked the battery and the connections at the terminals and they are all fine. Any ideas?? It seems to me something is loose like a ground...but could it just be a bad relay or something?

There was a recall for the screws (nuts) coming loose in the PDC, power outages and possible fire hazard. I don't realy know if it affects your year or not, but 95 does ring a bell.

Hi. I'm Poloplaya's brother. I am helping him try to figure this out.

The connection an the main fuse block is solid. Nothing loose there that would cause this problem.

We have searched through lots of posts and nothing looks like what is on this 95. According to the repair manual, 95 and 96 are different from all other years. The only ignition switch we can find is the one on the steering column, attached to the ignition tumbler. There is no other switch that we can find. None of the wires going into the tumber/switch look melted in any way, as mentioned in other posts.

Any other suggestions?

A little more info on the problem:

As he mentioned, sometimes there is power. We tried finding a loose wire by turing the key to 'accessory' and wigging every wire we could under the hood and under the dash. Nothing worked to make power come on. Then, a few minutes later, without being touched and while the key was still in the accessory position, power magically reappeared and the lights and radio came on and the xj started up just fine.

This has happened twice. It's odd that we can sometimes just stick in the key, turn it to accessory, wait a few minutes, and the thing magically comes to life.

Update:

We replaced the ignition switch that the tumbler sits in. Reconnected battery and the lights came on. It started right up. Turned it off to try to restart and make sure everything was fixed...nothing. Dead again.

It appears that the ignition switch is not the problem.

Any ideas?

Back