• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating

CherokeeCrawler88

NAXJA Forum User
My 92 Cherokee runs cool going down the highway but when I stop at a red light or drive threw gets hot fast like 240 hot electric fan helps it alot but should it get that hot. I just put a brand new radiator and water pump on it cleaned evrything out and all new antifreeze. any ideas?

Hallo Jeeper. Are you sure? No trapped air in the system?
No small leaks? The right waterpump? From own experience.:laugh: Yes 8Mud,of course the fanclutch.

'92 31"BFG Muds 3"BB

Last edited:
You did mix the anti-freeze with water, 50/50 ratio, correct? Pure anti-freeze does NOT cool very well, it needs to be mixed with water.

BTW, pure anti-freeze has a higher freeze point as well, its freeze point actually lowers when you mix it with some water.

Did you replace the thermostat? I do every couple of years and any time I do major maintenance on the cooling system. They often go bad, one way they can go bad is that they will stop opening or closing fully. When that happens, the cooling system will seem normal unless the cooling requirement gets too high or it gets too cold out, either NOT enough coolant flows because it won't open fully or TOO MUCH coolant flows because it won't close fully.

BTW, always use DISTILLED or DE-IONIZED WATER to mix with the anti-freeze, tap water has to many minerals and impurities in it, that will form deposits in the cooling system and break down the anti-corrosion additives in the anti-freeze sooner.

Could my radiator upper or lower house cause this also the cherokee is suppose to have a 13 lb cap i noticed and mine only has a 7 pound cap could that cause anything as well?

no 13 lb I just went today and bought a brand new upper and lower radiator house and a 13lb cap if u don't have the right amount of pressure on your cap that the vehicle needs what will that do.

Back