• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anybody build their own exhaust pipe?

MONSTERxbla

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of building my xj and am finally ready to install my exhaust system. I've got a new header, a new cat, a new muffler, and an old down pipe. I have looked for a new down pipe with no luck so I thought why not build one? I found that I can buy mandrel bent peices(45's,90's ect..), so why not peice it together and weld it up? is that ghetto? I was gonna take it to a muffler shop but the few that I have been to have me thinking I can do a better job routing the exhaust and definately a better job welding it together. also a stock exhaust system won't work. thanks

no reason you can't do it. When I finish up my bellypan I'll need to reroute my exhaust and I plan on doing the exact same thing.

Which one is ghetto?
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The welds don't need to be "good" per say, meaning you're only welding like 16 or 18 gauge metal, not a bridge joist. However, they need to be consistent and flowing in order for the pipe to not leak.

Jes said:
Which one is ghetto?
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Jess that pipe looks really good, do you (or anyone) have any info on mapping of the cleanest straighest flow for an exhaust? I want to get a header, muffler, cat and tip and then do all the pipes according to what i need.

This is what I used...
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&N=700+4294923429+4294820497+115&autoview=sku
Weld it up as good as you can, once fitted on the vehicle you can fire up the engine and "feel" for leaks. If any are found you can easily tack weld them up.
No real method to the madness other than I ran the pipe where it would fit. It's really not very difficult to make, just take your time, make sure everything fits, and it's going where you want it to.

I actually have two now. I added a second one for a wideband O2 to tune my stroker when I installed it. ;)

i might just get a dynnomax and then modify it as needed, any one with experiece using dynomax? My exhaust shop guy said a super turbo muffler (like hte one from dynomax) would barely even be heard given the loud ass fan and engine of the 4.0L powerd jeeps... what yall think?

May I ask why a wideband O2 sensor is a good option on OUR stroker motors? I googled it and understand the concept to adjust air/fuel mix but am unclear on how this can pertain to our engines...
Sorry for the hijack...

emr1101 said:
i might just get a dynnomax and then modify it as needed, any one with experiece using dynomax? My exhaust shop guy said a super turbo muffler (like hte one from dynomax) would barely even be heard given the loud ass fan and engine of the 4.0L powerd jeeps... what yall think?

You want noise?? Go borla..('87 Renix 4.0)

Ignore the door panel view, I was using this as a test video. I will get a better one sooner or later.

Real easy, but expect to pay about $150 for pipe and cat if you get one. Make sure to get those stupid expensive turbo flanges with the leak proof gaskets, cut your header, put on there, before the cat, between the cat and the muffler and then from muffler to the rest, that way you can take stuff out as you need to. Also, get a section of mesh flex to put somewhere between the down pipe and the cat so that your motor can flex. Besides heat, engines twisting side to side from hard acceleration is one of the top causes of cracked headers. The flex pipe eliminates the rigid exhaust and prevents header cracks.

Also, by doing it in sections, it allows you to leak check your pipe by filling it with water. No sense in not doing it, its gonna rust out anyways, its just a matter of time, so make sure you don't have any leaks.

HEP111 said:
May I ask why a wideband O2 sensor is a good option on OUR stroker motors? I googled it and understand the concept to adjust air/fuel mix but am unclear on how this can pertain to our engines...
Sorry for the hijack...

It's just a tuning aid. I used it to see that I had proper air to fuel ratio mixes at idle and WOT.

emr1101 said:

I'm running a Dynomax and it was pretty quiet. Now after a few years of bashing it on rocks it's gotten loud and annoying. Also it's big and heavy, so it's hard to tuck up out of the way.

The reason it is important to monitor AFR ratios on strokers especially is that with all the changes in compression, injectors, and other parts, you might be running too lean at WOT and pinging at certain RPMS or loads. Take that data and use an adjustable MAP or piggy-back ecu, an adjustable FPR, and some bigger injectors to dial it in--gain power and use the right amount of fuel.

Back