• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will Exhasut Wrap And Heat Shields On 4.0 Intake Manifold Get Better Mpg???

95cherjustin

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious if i use header wrap on my pacesetter header and put heat shields on bottom of intake manifold will get me better MPG, i know the warmer the fuel going in and the faster the engine gets hot the better the MPG too but what do you think on this little mod??

95 xj 4.0

header wrap seems to cause cracking in the collector.

Best way to contain the heat in the exhaust?
Use a stainless steel header, and have it ceramic coated.
A heat shield below the intake manifold will make a miniscule difference in the intake temperature.

A coated intake manifold is another possibility.

Wrap is better for race cars than daily drivers. tends to get fouled with dirt and grease anyhow.

you need to replace your exhaust manifold bering, should gain another 3mpg:cheers:

headerwrap will rot the collector out. When I put my new stroker in, the old header had that on it and it was toast. Before I wrapped it the first time I cleaned it, high temp primed it and coated it, then wrapped it. I think it has to do with the extra egt's corroding from the inside.

heat shield the intake manifold.
check Dyno's site, he did it with good results actually, as opposed to what is written above.

I believe its 1hp for every 10degree drop in temperature. So a little bit of intake heat shielding certainly won't hurt, wrap the intake pipe (if metal tube) and shield your intake filter (if after market cone type) you may net 2-3hp on the butt dyno, maybe even a mpg or 2.

The guys over on greenhybrid.com have a habit of building HOT air intakes to improve their miles. I think it just cuts your power and you can get the same effect by going easy on the skinny pedal. Cold air bumps your power thereby worsening your MPG should you chose to use that extra power. Hot or cold, the ECU is going to maintain a constant mixture.

Back