• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where can you find these parts!!

southernrebel20

NAXJA Forum User
I'm building a spring pack and need to find new center pins and spring liners. I've gone to all the autoparts stores around (including NAPA) and haven't been able to find any. I was told to look for a spring shop but can't find any around me (stone mountain, GA). Got any ideas!!!

I got sent the wrong size once, went to the hardware store, found a long allen socket head cap screw with the fine threads and used that. I've heard of people using regular bolts and grinding down a hex head to fit in the hole in the center of the spring pad.

Who needs spring liners?? Just make sure the leaves are clean.

Like mjma said use a allen head bolt or get a grade 8 hex bolt and grind it down to fit. For the liners when I did mine I pulled all of them out, cleaned all leaves really good, and used molylithium grease in a thin layer between them. No squeaks or anything yet and still have grease in them 2 years later.

I think cleaning them well and a thin layer of grease sound like a great idea. I was thinking about grinding down a hex head bolt, just wanted to see if anybody else had done that. This should be a great spring pack, my xj main leaf and 5 thin and soft leafs out of a '79 chevy truck that had an 8 leaf pack. In the end I should have about $30 into the entire project!

I can't remember the name of the paint, but it's a flexible, slippery paint a couple guys have used with great results.

as a former bike mechanic, that won't work, it'll cut through that inner tube in a matter of minutes.

I'd look into using more of a cut up plastic milk jug type deal

Moly spray lube is what deaver uses on leafs that are being used offroad majority of time. teflon paint works fantastic also.deaver uses liners on leafs packs that see mainly street use." reason" rocks and dirt builds up between pads.teflon paint is slick, works well.

whitneyj said:
I can't remember the name of the paint, but it's a flexible, slippery paint a couple guys have used with great results.

It's called EZ Slide, and it's a graphite based paint. You can get it at Tractor Supply Co. in gallons or spray cans. I bought a gallon (about $22 IIRC) and used maybe a quart on mine. Lent out the rest to a couple other friends who redid their packs as well.....
Jeff

Picture004.jpg

I found center pins at a small parts store, not a chain store. Tried the grade 8 bolts first, but didn't know about grinding down the heads. They almost fit, and it was dark so I didn't notice the difference. Talk about a good way to trash some u-joints :gee:

I got some bolts that will work fine for center pins, but the xj pack uses a 5/16 center bolt and the springs i have are 3/8. I was goin to just drill out the hole in the main leaf to a 3/8 and be done with it unless anyone sees a problem with this.

use a drill press when you drill out the main leaf. Remember spring steel is very hard. use a good amount of cutting oil and constant pressure

I got my pack put together. It rides awesome! it has less body roll in corners and handles much better. It also got me about 3.5in of lift. This was a great, cheap upgrade!

southernrebel20 said:
This should be a great spring pack, my xj main leaf and 5 thin and soft leafs out of a '79 chevy truck that had an 8 leaf pack.

southernrebel20 said:
It also got me about 3.5in of lift.
If I understand you correctly, you used the XJ main and did not use the Chevy main with the eyes cut off, just the five leafs under the Chevy main?

Use 3/8" allen bolts, they're way stronger. Just get it long enough for your pack. The 3/8" allens have the same size bolt head as the center pins. At least on my RE packs they did.

Back