• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing wheel spacers

ethernet

NAXJA Forum User
Ran into a problem when I was swapping axles today. Not only were the u-bolts completely rusted and a pain in the butt to remove, but that isn't the point of this thread. I had spacers to widen the width of the stance and I need to swap them onto my new axle. However I have run into a problem removing them. When I go to loosen the bolts holding them on the whole axle will spin. I had a buddy sit the the driver seat and hold the brake however they still spin... What should I try to do in order to remove these?

Put it in 4lo w/ one wheel still on the ground(and carrying weight)!

Easiest way is using an air impact gun, without one of those you can try putting a lugnut back on one of them and then use two breaker bars.

Sorry for continuing to ask questions... New to the whole axle swap thing... When I put new axle shims in do I need to weld them to the spring perches?

What axle are you taking out and what axle are you putting in? I wouldn't recommend welding the shims in because if you decide to lift more then you would have to cut them out to change them.

It may seem weird but there is reason to my madness... I am taking out a D44 and putting in a D35... Reason being is that I am selling the Jeep and want to keep the D44 to put in my new Jeep that I don't even have yet... haha

Don't weld them. It's best to use the spring bolt but if you are selling the rig just use the slip in aluminum shims.The U-bolts hold them in & they are a lot cheaper. People will flame on you for using them, but they are gonna flame you for the 35 anyway so go for it.

Back