• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gremlins...or Alternator

sfox

NAXJA Forum User
First off, want to thank everyone on NAXJA! I just replaced the CPS for a no spark/no fuel problem...never would have found that one without the help here.

So I got that replaced on Saturday, also replaced the Ignition Coil, the distributor cap and rotor..before I researched here.

Now I'm having further issues...again.... The drive in this morning started great but when I was in traffic, the check gauges light came on and the oil pressure gauge started bouncing everywhere, then the temop gauge dropped to nothing, the oil pressure gague came back and after a restart, the temp gauge was fine. However, the restart was not "robust" for lack of a better term and I wasn't sure it would stay alive for a second or two. Turned it off, then back on again and got the same thing, it drove fine though.

This is a 2wd manual tranny 1999 Cherokee Sport with 187,000 miles on it.

Major things replaced so far:
Head gasket
Cap and rotor
Water Pump (twice) and stat
Radiator
CPS (thanks again!)
Ignition coil (not sure if it was bad, but the casing was cracked)

Most everything else is original.

Thanks in advance!

S

Is the electric fan kicking on?? Sounds like a combo of a little overheating with the wacky gauge issue in 97+ XJs due to a bad connection. I say overheating because of the rough re-start.

Grounds are a possiblity. WHen I was replacing the ignition coil, one of the grounds onthe bracket it mounts to broke off. I replaced the terminal, but anyone know what is grounded to the ignition coil bracket?

S

Back