• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the oem tire size

Jagged73

NAXJA Forum User
What size tire was installed on XJ's with a 15x7 wheel. I am looking to install the oem tire size for various reasons that dont need explained here now.

I thought it was a 205/75/15 was the oem tire size but I am being told you cant install this size tire on a 15x7 rim. Is this bunk?

Its a 1991 and its a German Import from America. Tirerack is telling me that the 205s will fit the 7" width of the rim.

I think it depends on the tire you want to use. I just checked a radial long trail T/A on the BFG website and it says a 205/75R15 is good for 5-7" rim widths.

Who told you they wouldn't fit?

You could also go with 215/75 and 225/75. They are a bit wider, (a bit) notvery noticable at all and if anything they will give you slightly better traction as there is more surface area.

ManBearPig said:
Yes major bunk. I work at Discount Tire CO. Do nothing but mount and balance tires all day and that is absolute bunk

You know I thought it was bunk. Its been more than a few years but I once worked at Walmart Tire and Lube. The rule I always heard was tire rim width within 2 inches of tread width. 205mm is just a touch over 8 inches so it should be good.

I watched the guy (at a military auto hobby shop) try it on both machines. The old school one with the four clamps that press inside the rim and then a newer one that has 4 nozzles that shoot air inside the tire to try and force it onto the bead of the rim. Course they didnt try very hard either.

Stock tire sizes varied between 215/75 and 225/75, I think it depended on the model, the SE came with 215's and the sports, classics and limited's came with 225's. Though I seem to remember that you could 'upgrade' the tire and wheel package for an additional fee.

searchingforXJ said:
I think it depends on the tire you want to use. I just checked a radial long trail T/A on the BFG website and it says a 205/75R15 is good for 5-7" rim widths.

Who told you they wouldn't fit?

That was basically what tirerack.com told me.

I was told by a couple guys who work at the Pulaski Army Barracks Auto Hobby Shop. Auto Hobby Shop = place you do your own auto work...with some questionable advice depending on who works there...free tools and lifts that you can use for about 5 to 10 bux an hour.

Depending on the tire (not the tire size) the actual tire, the beads can be flared out or be all pushed in to where front and back beads are really close or almost touching. When they are close like that its more difficult to seat the beads.

Thats why we have this. Its a 5 gallon tank that we fill to 120+ P.S.I, and all that pressure is released into the tire at the flip of that valve. It works wonders.

TSI-CH-5.jpg

Ive worked on everything from small dolly tires to 40's on the smallest wheels up to 26' and there has never been any thing That i havent been able to seat or mount. Even rediculously wide tires on skinny wheels and vice versa, it can be done safely and practically, we are a nationwide co. so if it was dangerous to do what we do then we wouldnt be doing it.

Last edited:
Looks like I am going to be trying to get tirerack.com to take these tires back....and not have to foot the bill for the shipping myself.

My '95 Sport and '99 Classic both call for 225/75/15s, but i've seen XJs with rinky dink tires on some of the older models.

Just stuff some 225s or 235s under it & you'll be happy. 235s gave my totally stock 95 a little more real jeep attitude & I had no rubbing issues. The guy that owns it now takes it off road [kind of] & has had no clearance problems. How much cheaper can 205s be?

i just upgraded from the stock 225/75 to 235/75.. love the look... makes it just a weee bit taller... and for the most part 235 and 225 are about the same price... i installed the 235 cause they where actually 3$ cheaper then the 225.... :D 98sport

Back