• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

testing hubs

Oizarod115

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

How can i test my front hub assemlies to see if they need replacing?

i know how to remove/replace them, but before dropping the money for them i want to know how to see if they are bad.

-Tim

If so, jack the axle up, put it on jackstands, lock the steering column, and wiggle the tires back and forth listening for "play" at the hubs. They are famous for going bad, ecspecially runnin bigger tires

ttocsnekia said:
wiggle the tires back and forth listening for "play" at the hubs.
Grab the tire at top and bottom (12 and 6 o'clock) when you do this. If there's any play, check behind the wheel as well to make sure it's not in the balljoints.

In my experience, a bad hub has been signaled by a vibration beginning at a certain speed. In my case, it was 42 mph. Every time I got to that speed, the front end would start to shake like I had an out-of-round tire.

also with the rotor and caliper off rotate hub. if it feels like gravel you need a new hub. if it turns smooth it is good.:peace:

Back