• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 Wrangler 297 Shafts

BruceB83

NAXJA Forum User
I found a set of 95 disconnect Wrangler shafts for sale. Do all 95 YJ shafts have the 297 u-joints or only those with ABS? Through my search I read that the ABS came with 297's but I want to make sure the non-ABS models didn't as well. Thanks!

Last edited:
My understanding was that the YJ came with 260s. Period.
TJ Wranglers (1997+) have the 297s.

XJs span both ranges, so you can find the following with respect to our D30s:
Dana 30 axles with the NP231, 1987 through 1991 are vacuum disconnect
NP242 Selec-Trac will not have the disconnect
All 1992+ are non-disconnect
All 84-88 D30s have 5-260x u-joints (1 1/16" diameter caps)
1989-95 non-ABS have 5-260x u-joints
1989-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints (1 3/16" diameter caps)
All 1995 1/2+ have 5-297x u-joints
5-297x u-joints can be replaced with the stronger 5-760x u-joint

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yeah, I know where I can find the 297's in a non-disco, but since I am only on 31's and don't plan on going larger than 33's with this XJ I figured I'd keep the disconnect feature, I've already converted it to cable actuated so the vacuum issues are now a non-issue. Plus I found a good deal on a set of gears and the shafts out of a 95 YJ. The D30 write-up in FAQ says the 95 YJ came with 297s but I'm trying to figure out if all did or only ABS models.

BruceB83 said:
The D30 write-up in FAQ says the 95 YJ came with 297s but I'm trying to figure out if all did or only ABS models.

I had a 95 YJ 'Rio Grande' edition with 297s and no ABS.

MoparManiac said:
Can you physically go there and measure the cap diameter?
No, the stuff will have to be shipped to me.

I was able to convince the dude to lay a straight edge ruler on the u-joint cap with the 1" mark on the cap edge and take a picture. He's going to send it to me and then I can see if it's the 1.188" cap for the 297 joint. Then I don't have to go by a clueless dudes word on whether it's a 260 or 297. Problem solved! I'm so smart I scare myself sometimes.

Ronbo said:
I had a 95 YJ 'Rio Grande' edition with 297s and no ABS.
Hmmmmm. In the D30 FAQ thread it says ABS came with 297s but then on a YJ thread on jeepforum it said that most 95's had them because that was the beginning of the switchover away from 260s.

We'll just have to wait and see when the dude sends me the pic today.

BruceB83 said:
No, the stuff will have to be shipped to me.

I was able to convince the dude to lay a straight edge ruler on the u-joint cap with the 1" mark on the cap edge and take a picture. He's going to send it to me and then I can see if it's the 1.188" cap for the 297 joint. Then I don't have to go by a clueless dudes word on whether it's a 260 or 297. Problem solved! I'm so smart I scare myself sometimes.
Hope it isn't a blurred cellphone pic... :D

Back