• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carpet/Underbody Fun.

OFFRDR

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I'm taking out my rear carpet, because I have coolant spilled all over it, and it soaked in, so it needs to be replaced, while I'm at it, I'm going to try and fix up some holes in my floor. I have some holes that go directly through my floorboards, so when I drive in the rain, my carpet gets soaked in certain spots, so my Jeep stinks from that stuff. Any good ways to patch the holes? There's a few small ones and a larger one under the rear seat. Also, whats a good whole new carpet inset? Is the Nifty one from Quadratec okay?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/74051_80X_PG.htm
Thanks.

OFFRDR said:
Well, I'm taking out my rear carpet, because I have coolant spilled all over it, and it soaked in, so it needs to be replaced, while I'm at it, I'm going to try and fix up some holes in my floor. I have some holes that go directly through my floorboards, so when I drive in the rain, my carpet gets soaked in certain spots, so my Jeep stinks from that stuff. Any good ways to patch the holes? There's a few small ones and a larger one under the rear seat. Also, whats a good whole new carpet inset? Is the Nifty one from Quadratec okay?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/74051_80X_PG.htm
Thanks.

Check out my build thread, I had to do some patch work on my waggie.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=945280

Any questions feel free to ask!

I forgot to take a before pic, but here is close to the beginning:
IMG00148.jpg

Here is the carpet gone and outta there!
IMG00149.jpg

Here are two pics of the nasty underside of the carpet. The carpet was soaked in something...it was just nasty.
IMG00150.jpg

IMG00151.jpg

There were a bunch of rust spots on the driver side. I ground them with my fancy new toy that I bought today. (A 4.5 inch DeWalt grinder) I found a leak in my passenger back window, so I gotta get that fixed, it leaked water to the carpet. There is also one hole I need to patch under the backseat. I used some Anti-Rust red spray paint on the grinded rust spots. More to come!

Not to bad rust wise.

I had a bunch of pinholes in mine. I still need to permanently seal them. but for now until I get the herc done, silicone will have to do....

I would "think" vinyl would be worse corrosion wise. At least carpet would allow moisture that gets under it to evaporate, albeit slowly. Moisture is still going to get under the vinyl, maybe less from spills, and it won't be able to evaporate.

If your going to go NON-carpet, I would "think" the best choice is the Hercu-liner, bed-liner type stuff you paint on.

I just got done bedlineing mine. turned out pretty nice and cost me a total of about $50.

Sweet. I just got back from Wal-Mart and I checked it out. How long does it take to dry? Since this is my only car, I'll have to do it when I don't have classes.

It dries pretty quick, you should give it a full 24+ hours before putting load on it though or you'll "scrape" it off with heavy contact.

Like stated you won't want carpet after you are done. Bedliner + Drain holes is a amazing way to wash your car interior!

Thats the same stuff I used. It was hot when I put mine in 75 degrees (hot but NW standards :) ) Took about 15 minutes between coats and I put my trim and seats back in after 2 hours or so.

You'll love it when you are done. I wasn't thinking when I put up the drying time I was talking about. It's 80-100% humidity everyday here, so drying things takes a little while....

Back