• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Duct Tape

Mesh

NAXJA Forum User
I’m cleaning my engine compartment getting ready for the new engine and found a few surprises. After uncovering the wires I’ve found eight patches where the factory used duct tape. Its definite factory work the connections have a flat pressed look and I don’t think someone who uses duct tape would also take the time to unwrap and rewrap the full length of the wire and reattach split loom.

On top of the duct tape problems I’m planning on replacing wires that look a little rough, upgrading the battery cables, lights, removing extra things, maybe a little polish. Then try to tidy up as much as possible. I’m also trying out some different products to cover the wire I’ll take a picture when it’s all done.

ducttapebg0.jpg

"if it aint fixable with ductape & zip-strips it cant be fixed" lmao

actualy the electrical tape replacement is the best idea. as real ductape contains metal strips in it & isnt a good idea on wires.

Geez. Am I the only one here who noticed that while you were worrying about a little duct tape, SOMEBODY STOLE YOUR ENGINE!!!

I like to use black duct tape in small doses. They have small rolls of different colors at the parts places, rather than the hardware store. Looks O.K. and doesn't seem to be as oozy-sticky as the cheap gray stuff. That and a little cheap split loom really cleans things up. I just tape the ends of the split loom, not the entire length.

Yeah, it's interesting the stuff you find if you dig. I pulled out my carpet and found a pillow where one of the factory guys had taken a nap in it while it was being built. He even wrote down the date on the pillow as some kind of personal graffiti.

Actually it was (I guess) some kind of insulation that they use under the carpet in the front passenger well. But it's just a fluffy white thing about the size of a small airplane pillow, inside a plastic sack, and with a hand-written date on it. I presume that's the build date, and it's the date I use to celebrate my jeep's birthday.

On a related note, I was helping a buddy rebuild his bathroom in an old house, and we found a beer bottle inside the wall. Before we closed it up again, we put the old bottle back and added two new bottles to the collection.

I'm going to solder and use adhesive lined shrink tube for all the splices. I wonder how much tape is behind the dash maybe I'll pull that too.

Mesh said:
I'm going to solder and use adhesive lined shrink tube for all the splices. I wonder how much tape is behind the dash maybe I'll pull that too.
I try to do all my repairs this way, but I don't think you'll need any adhesive if the shrink tube is the right size. It will form tight over the little lump of solder, and it will never slip.

But the adhesive lined is so much fun. I know its overkill but it gives that extra little something.

I've now counted fifteen patches and there is probably more.

92xjsp said:
On a related note, I was helping a buddy rebuild his bathroom in an old house, and we found a beer bottle inside the wall. Before we closed it up again, we put the old bottle back and added two new bottles to the collection.

lol
One of the guys I used to do remodels with used to leave notes for the next guy to open the wall/cieling/wherever.

kujito said:
lol
One of the guys I used to do remodels with used to leave notes for the next guy to open the wall/cieling/wherever.

It's fun to leave little time capsules like that. It used to be common place to stick a newspaper in the walls before they put up the lathe and plaster. Nowadays they just leave beer bottles.

Back