• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a bike?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bik/833446363.html

Selling one of my bikes. Hopefully I'll be able to get some cash from it soon...as Jeeps have become a big pit for me.

Anyone have thoughts on what I should look into getting for my rig?

List of currents:
-3" RC lift full leafs with 1.25" lift shackles in rear (4" rear lift)
-31" BFG Mud Terrains on 15x8 Centerline hellcat wheels
-Custom reverse lights (harbor freight special)
-JCR Stage 2 sliders
-Engine skid, gas skid, and t-case skid all waiting to be installed (after school projects)
-Discos up front and no sway rear
-CB radio
-Tow hooks up front and hitch in rear
-Dana 30 front and 35 rear with 3.73 gears (I believe)

What I want out of the rig:
-A daily driver with acceptable gas milage, but very capable off road.
-A rig able of taking on most PNW trails (if not all) and be able to handle snow
-Go to 4.5-5" lift in the future and 33" tires (probably max)

I was thinking a winch bumper and top hat roof rack (hold off on the winch for a bit) then some acos spacers up front. My other thought is to just drop all the money into a Dana 44, lock it, and regear front and rear while I do that.

I'm not sure though. So what are some fellow NAXJA thoughts here?

~Scott

(Yes, I realize I shouldnt spend money before I have it, or at least not look at spending before it's there...but let's assume I'll have $1000 to put into my Jeep, and the sooner the better IMO.)

Last edited:
You could always go the route I took on the locker, slap an aussie in the front for $260 shipped and away you go. Just go easy on the stock U-joints and keep your eyes peeled for the 97' newer ones at pull a parts.

I'd drop a ford 8.8 in it, then re-gear it to 4.55 and add Detroit’s. A less expensive idea is the front bumper and an M8000.

FiFo said:
I'd drop a ford 8.8 in it, then re-gear it to 4.55 and add Detroit’s. A less expensive idea is the front bumper and an M8000.

Ya my thought is if I get the winch bumper and a winch I can just pull myself out whenever I get stuck. Or I could get locked up and just not get stuck as much.

:)

~Scott

While bigger tires and a locker are nice, there will always come a time when a winch is going to be needed to get yourself unstuck. I don’t really winch that often with 36 IROCs and Detroit’s F/R, but every now and then I find myself in a mess only my Warn will get me out of.

To illustrate my point, here’s a video of KarlVP a few months ago on Busy Wild trail at Elbe. He’s on 35s with Detroit’s F/R, but we all winched that day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tWucm0UZOE

Last year I said that I wasnt going to buy lockers until I had a winch, I changed my mind after I saw what lockers can help you do. Its alot more fun going places with lockers then having to pull cable all day long.

-Alex

Ba-Riedo said:
Last year I said that I wasnt going to buy lockers until I had a winch, I changed my mind after I saw what lockers can help you do. Its alot more fun going places with lockers then having to pull cable all day long.

-Alex

That's my thought...but then again, it's also more money to lock, gear, and get a new axle. And my money is tight.

~Scott

Muddy Beast said:
That's my thought...but then again, it's also more money to lock, gear, and get a new axle. And my money is tight.

~Scott

not that much more...

decent bumper $600-$700
decent winch $700+

~$1400 give or take

gears and install kit for d30/dxx $500
aussie lockers for D30/Dxx $500

labor depends but $400-500

puts you pretty close on cost.

Muddy Beast said:

~Scott
unless you buy someones used, already geared and locked axle:shhh:

WaXJ_Skier said:
not that much more...

decent bumper $600-$700
decent winch $700+

~$1400 give or take

gears and install kit for d30/dxx $500
aussie lockers for D30/Dxx $500

labor depends but $400-500

puts you pretty close on cost.

My price for a bumper was looking more $600 shipped, and a winch for $400 (smittybuilt 8000lb winch)...so $1000. Then throw in some extra savings for some acos up front.

I definately want an axle upgrade (so I dont have to worry so much) but it's a bigger swap...not to mention my dad was kinda pissed/confused when I said I wanted to get a dana 44 rear because as he said, "I will lose my ABS" which is another thing I have to figure out.

~Scott

Muddy Beast said:
My price for a bumper was looking more $600 shipped, and a winch for $400 (smittybuilt 8000lb winch)...so $1000. Then throw in some extra savings for some acos up front.

I definately want an axle upgrade (so I dont have to worry so much) but it's a bigger swap...not to mention my dad was kinda pissed/confused when I said I wanted to get a dana 44 rear because as he said, "I will lose my ABS" which is another thing I have to figure out.

~Scott

abs is overrated if you drive the speed limit with proper spacing between you and the person in front of you you will be fine.

WaXJ_Skier said:
abs is overrated if you drive the speed limit with proper spacing between you and the person in front of you you will be fine.

But the trick is, how do I get rid of the ABS stuff to have normal brakes?

~Scott

Muddy Beast said:
But the trick is, how do I get rid of the ABS stuff to have normal brakes?

~Scott

take the fuse out of the slot for the ABS you will still have the regular brake booster and everything will still work.

WaXJ_Skier said:
take the fuse out of the slot for the ABS you will still have the regular brake booster and everything will still work.

I know on my 96 you don't even have to do that if you don't mind the ABS light being on. Mine ran for years with just the wires cut, I finally removed the fuses on the XJ, but the only difference from before is that now my ABS light isn't on all the time.

As for the smittybuilt winch, I would spend a little more and get a Warn M8000, there only about $570 at 4wheel parts and are a much higher quality.

So my brakes will run just not with ABS, even though I don't have a normal brake booster?

Keep in mind this is an '89 XJ.

~Scott

Back