• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disc Brake Conversion kits

outlaw707

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know who makes a disc brake conversion kit for a 1990 MJ. It has a D44. I'm not looking to spend a shit load of money. Thanks guys.

Cody

outlaw707 said:
Does anyone know who makes a disc brake conversion kit for a 1990 MJ. It has a D44. I'm not looking to spend a shit load of money. Thanks guys.

Cody

if you are going to be getting a kit you will be spending a lot of money.

search for ZJ and Crown vic swaps you can do those for about 1/4 the cost of the kits.

I have Explorer rear discs on my XJ's D44.

And I just picked up some more Explorer backing plates and calipers from the junkyard for my MJ's D44.

I just grab the calipers to use as cores. I prefer to use reman calipers and new rotors. So all you really need from the junkyard is the mounting plates.

I a currently doing the crown vic change over

Brackets and backing plates from jy.

I also have calipers that will be used as core exchange

I have the rotors... If possible these will be turned

I will go with new e-brake shoes and hardware

The total thus far is $80.

So far I am only mocking up the parts and putting it together.

I just saw the teraflex kit in the latest 4wd(?--might be another catalog) and if you get the e-brake cables it's pushing $700. I did mine for ~$150 with a mixture of JY parts(backing plates, calipers, e-brake cables, prop valve) and new parts(rotors, pads, hardware). If I did it now, I'd buy the KJ e-brake cables and new calipers(~$250 to piece it together yourself). I know people question the value of rear disc conversion, but getting rid of the rear drums that tend to lock up before the fronts(I know a few of you have properly adjusted drums) and putting discs back there allow the fronts to brake more--so better braking at all four corners.

gradon said:
I just saw the teraflex kit in the latest 4wd(?--might be another catalog) and if you get the e-brake cables it's pushing $700. I did mine for ~$150 with a mixture of JY parts(backing plates, calipers, e-brake cables, prop valve) and new parts(rotors, pads, hardware). If I did it now, I'd buy the KJ e-brake cables and new calipers(~$250 to piece it together yourself). I know people question the value of rear disc conversion, but getting rid of the rear drums that tend to lock up before the fronts(I know a few of you have properly adjusted drums) and putting discs back there allow the fronts to brake more--so better braking at all four corners.

Holy crap!! I got my Teraflex kit two years ago for $298 shipped. No ebrake cables though - didn't need them. $600+ is rediculous....

Thanks for everyones input. I'll have to try it out for my friend. Its his MJ we will be doing the swap on. What about for an 8.25? Any cheap disc brake ideas for that?

outlaw707 said:
Thanks for everyones input. I'll have to try it out for my friend. Its his MJ we will be doing the swap on. What about for an 8.25? Any cheap disc brake ideas for that?

pretty much same shit, you are redrilling holes anyway

It was in the Quadratec I got a few days ago, not 4wd. "Hot New Product!" on top of page 53. $628.99 for the kit + $40.99 for the e-brakes + shipping(?).

Back