• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

All of the sudden no electrical?

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
Prior to this I never had any electrical/battery/starting problems.

Today I drove to the video store and came out and turn the key and I get Nothing. As if no battery is connected, try the key a few times for maybe 30 seconds then suddenly I have power. The jeep starts first crank no struggle at all and everything seems fine except my stereo is reset(having had no power).

I drive home turn it off and turn the key back to On and get Nothing again. Same thing, I mess with the key and wait like a minute then its got full power.

My battery being relatively new and never struggled to start makes me think its not that. The battery cables are a bit corroded but I cant see that causing a repeatable problem like this?

I did just wash the jeep the day before all this, I didnt spray the engine or anything. Maybe water got around the Alt. and something is shorting? I dont know where to begin other than battery test and changing the battery cables.

Yeah corrosion could cause a problem like that. Make sure you clean all your connections and use dielectric grease on them. As fat as water messing up the alternator, ive gone through some pretty deep water crossings and never have had a problem with that.

Possibly check the ground from the batt to the engine block, might be coming loose also check the connections to the alternator and starter.

swbooking said:
Yeah corrosion could cause a problem like that. Make sure you clean all your connections and use dielectric grease on them. As fat as water messing up the alternator, ive gone through some pretty deep water crossings and never have had a problem with that.

Possibly check the ground from the batt to the engine block, might be coming loose also check the connections to the alternator and starter.

Ill check the wiring and see about replacing the cables. Its just really weird to me that its so consistent. Wait 1 minute then I have full power back.

It's most likely one of your terminals/cables. I was having that problem and where it would be fine, then all of sudden it wouldn't start, no clicking, nothing. Replaced the terminals and never since.

If the terminals are corroded you'll get a poor connection and it's hit or miss whether or not they'll conduct. Cheap and easy fix. Wiggle around the cables next time it happens and you should be able to get it to start.

I just took the terminals off and cleaned them up and put some dialect grease on. I couldnt get the problem to happen again from just idling in the garage, so hopefully its good for now. Im still going to replace the cables, the positive was really bad. The wire going into the term was really corroded/falling apart I didnt think it was That bad. The terminals werent that bad though, well see.

Thanks for the all the advice ; )

Talk to Jon (5-90) about your battery cables.

http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/electric.html

He makes upgrade battery cable kits for Jeeps. You can buy them from his site.

They are AWESOME. We have them in our MJ and I had him make a custom set for our Rx-7. Once I get a little more money I will be getting the kit for my XJ as well.

I had the same problem right after I replaced the battery terminals. I had already cleaned the ground strap from the firewall to block, so that wasn't it. Then I read someone asking about the "Dip Stick" cable, I'd never heard of that one.
I searched and found it. It's the main ground to the block and since the engine was rebuilt and painted (including the bolt) that was my problem. Took it off, wire brushed, filed and sanded. Problem solved.

swbooking said:
Talk to Jon (5-90) about your battery cables.

http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/electric.html

He makes upgrade battery cable kits for Jeeps. You can buy them from his site.

They are AWESOME. We have them in our MJ and I had him make a custom set for our Rx-7. Once I get a little more money I will be getting the kit for my XJ as well.

I actually PM'd him before my last post lol. Waiting for a reply...

Yeah, he should respond quickly, Jon is awesome to deal with.

I know the cable kits are a little more expensive then anything you get at vatozone but TRUST ME, they are well worth it, you wont be disappointed.

Back