• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

teach me about yokes

CV95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, I need to order driveshafts soon and I am curious to learn about how yokes are measured. I always hear numbers like 1410, 1350 and so on but don't really know what it means. I have 3/4 ton chevy axles under my jeep and an np 205 t case.

just wondering how it works. also I was wondering if I could find a bigger yoke for the dana 44 front that would fit a stock u joint for a 60 front so when I upgrade the front axle I don't have to worry about driveshafts.

thanks guys.

CV95XJ said:
hey guys, I need to order driveshafts soon and I am curious to learn about how yokes are measured. I always hear numbers like 1410, 1350 and so on but don't really know what it means. I have 3/4 ton chevy axles under my jeep and an np 205 t case.

just wondering how it works. also I was wondering if I could find a bigger yoke for the dana 44 front that would fit a stock u joint for a 60 front so when I upgrade the front axle I don't have to worry about driveshafts.

thanks guys.

The numbers 1310, 1330, 1350, and 1410 refer to Spicer part numbers for the driveshaft to axle pinion u-joints. The u-joints vary in size at the cap diameter and cross width, and ofcourse in strength. The1310 is the size of the stock XJ driveshaft ujoints. You can get yokes from 1310 to 1350 for both the D44 and D60. Easiest thing to do is just use the stock 1310 yoke. If and when you upgrade to a D60 you can put a 1310 yoke on it, or run a conversion ujoint.

If you do decide to run a larger ujoint, skip the 1330 as it isn't much stronger than the 1310. The 1350 however is quite a bit stronger, and you can get a 1350 yoke for a D44 here:
http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/262/products_id/27488

I recently installed 1310 yokes in my D44 front and D60 rear so that all my u-joints are the same size, and I only need to carry one size spare u-joint.

The drawback to 1350 joints is that they will bind up much sooner than a 1310. Many run 1310 joints on very built rigs. You will break many more parts before you out grow 1310s, as long as you keep pinion angles under control.

alright , the front is a low pinion 44, and the angle is pretty steep, would a good plan be to run a double ended cv setup with 1310's?

also the yoke on the rear dana 60 is quite a bit bigger than the front, is that a 1350?

cut and turn your inner C's is a much better option. There's a chart with the measurements you need to find out if you have a 1310-1350 ect. not sure where I found it though. . .

Back