• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 question(play in front yoke)

97xjcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
'97 XJ 4.0 NP231

I was inpecting the front driveshaft today when I noticed that there is a little play in the front yoke of the transfer case. Pulled the driveshaft to make sure it wasn't just play in the shaft and sure enough there is up down, left right movement in the yoke. Does this mean time for a rebuild? I know nothing about t-cases. Thanks

97xjcrawler said:
probably wouldn't hurt(except the pocket)...oh yeah mine has 185,500 on it.

The rebuild kit is only around 150.00 or so (no chain included). I knew nothing bout them either till the other day. I took my t/c out to install a SYE. It was rather simple to do. While I was there I replaced all the other bearings and seals in the t/c essentially rebuilding it. Just got to remember to have a pair of flat tip expanding snap ring pliers on hand. Do not be intimidated by the t/c. Once you open the case you will see that for what it does it really isn't as complicated as you would think.

magimerlin said:
The rebuild kit is only around 150.00 or so (no chain included). I knew nothing bout them either till the other day. I took my t/c out to install a SYE. It was rather simple to do. While I was there I replaced all the other bearings and seals in the t/c essentially rebuilding it. Just got to remember to have a pair of flat tip expanding snap ring pliers on hand. Do not be intimidated by the t/c. Once you open the case you will see that for what it does it really isn't as complicated as you would think.

That's good to know thanks! Would a rebuild kit fix the problem?

Had the exact same issue and yes rebuild will take care of it. The biggest problem with rebuild is rear bearing on the front output shaft. Might have to take it to someone with special puller to get it out. Otherwise simple to rebuild.

STOP! Before you buy anything make sure the yoke is tight.

there are 2 bearings that could cause lateral movement the front output bearing closest to the seal and the rear cage bearing that sits in the webbed part of the rear case.

I have plowed through tons of nuked t-cases and never have seen these bearings bad enough to cause that much movement.

jragan said:
Had the exact same issue and yes rebuild will take care of it. The biggest problem with rebuild is rear bearing on the front output shaft. Might have to take it to someone with special puller to get it out. Otherwise simple to rebuild.

You can actually pull the snap ring out with some patience and two small headed flat head screw drivers. No need for a special puller. It took me not even 2 minute to get the snap ring off and bearing out. Once the case was taken apart that is.

I love my new snap ring pliers. I got some decent Craftsmen ones (~$20) and used the heck out of them during my SYE install yesterday. Make sure that if you do get them they are the flat tab style and open to at least 1".

A loose yoke, maybe. Bad bearing/bearings, most likely! The main bearing could easily be shot if the case was driven much with low fluid! The support bearing in the rear of the case could be bad too! If the main is bad then the support is bad or on its way out! Get a rebuild w/ new bearing and have at it!

ColoradoRaptor said:
A loose yoke, maybe. Bad bearing/bearings, most likely! The main bearing could easily be shot if the case was driven much with low fluid! The support bearing in the rear of the case could be bad too! If the main is bad then the support is bad or on its way out! Get a rebuild w/ new bearing and have at it!

Think im going to do the rebuild because now that I think about it when I changed the tcase fluid last it was pretty low...

Back