• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alignment shoes

Throttle

NAXJA Forum User
I tried to rotate my front axle down yesterday, but I'm at the maximum of my alignment shoe bolts. I only have maybe 2 or 3 threads showing. I'm using the RC drop brackets.... Can you get alignment shoes with longer studs in them?

Generally, adjustable arms are the best way to make large adjustments.

Usually by the time you run out the thread you start to get vibes from the uni joint be at such a steep angle.

Gojeep said:
Usually by the time you run out the thread you start to get vibes from the uni joint be at such a steep angle.

Thats my problem I'm having right now. My axle is pointed too HIGH in comparison with my driveshaft angle... Hence why I want to extend the LCA's to drop the angle of the axle to be more in line witht he drive shaft.

Throttle said:
Thats my problem I'm having right now. My axle is pointed too HIGH in comparison with my driveshaft angle... Hence why I want to extend the LCA's to drop the angle of the axle to be more in line witht he drive shaft.
Extending the lower control arms will make it worse I am afraid. You want to raise the pinion so it points more to the double cardon joint to relieve the uni joint angles of both.

Gojeep said:
Extending the lower control arms will make it worse I am afraid. You want to raise the pinion so it points more to the double cardon joint to relieve the uni joint angles of both.

My problem is that my pinion angle is too high tho.

What sort of uppers are you running then? Cant be stock that is for sure.

I see now and because you have now added the drop brackets it would make them too long. Though if you are running their lower arms as well it should only push the whole axle forward and drop the pinion angle some with the drop brackets?

Thats what I thought. What makes me think that the axle is still wrapped too high is that my steering arm joint slightly rubs against my steering stabilizer bolt, my coils are slightly bent forward, and I have a driveline vibration in the front. I've checked all the U-joints and double cardan in the driveshaft, and even taken it to a driveline shop to look at they said its good. Whenever I take the front driveshaft out, the vibration goes away...

Read the caster angle like I show here and tell me what you have and I try and work it out from there.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm
There is no way you can eye ball this. Also the vibes can come from your slip joint too. If you push up and down on it, does it move at all? You should have none and if you do you have a worn joint that needs to be replaced as will give you vibes.

Back