• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

62mm Throttle Body Install Question...

milehilonewolf

NAXJA Forum User
Let me first start by giving a little history...

I recently installed the "Air Force 1" cold air intake onto my stock throttle body and had zero issues upon install... I was very impressed with the initial increase in power and loved the sound I was getting from the motor. Every time I would start the engine and put the jeep in gear I would hear a loud "whooooshh" sound from the intake sucking in the added air. When I would cruise down the road I could always hear the intake sucking and when I would throttle down hard, again I would hear that noticeable "whoooosh" sound. Everything was going good....

Yesterday morning I installed the Rubicon Express 62mm throttle body. I transferred all the sensors without problem. All the parts were clean and appeared in good condition. I reinstalled the intake and started the engine.... the first thing I noticed was I had a "check engine" light and that there was no "whoooosh" sound like previously? when I revved the engine a couple times you could hear little "whoosh" sounds but nothing as prominent as before? When I took the jeep for a test drive there was very little sound, if any, coming from the intake? I was expecting there to a be a greater volume of sound. I experienced no other problems (bad idle, bad response etc.) other than the lack of air flow noise.

Is this typical.... and if so why?

One other note.... if you click on the below link...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=964929

...you can read about another problem I have been having.... through the thoughts of you guys and local mechanics, we have narrowed down the overheating problems to the bad exhaust system.... On tuesday of this week I have a Gibson header, high flow cat, high flow muffler and 2.5" pipe going in...

Is there any connection to the current (blocked) exhaust and the added air flow from the throttle body?

the whoosh could have been the restriction at the throttle body. if your not experiencing any problems i wouldnt worry about it.

did the bored TB give you better throttle response?

I kinda had the same first reaction: restriction. Being that I have never added a larger intake before, I don't know what is the "correct sound" so to speak.

The throttle response was not that noticeable, but the transmission shifts seemed to be smoother????? Could just be my imagination...

What about the check engine light I know have... does that added air intake cause issues to the ECU? Will this clear out over time, or do I have to have it cleared by a mechanic?

you might need to get a adjustable map sensor to balance out the extra incoming air though i have a bored tb and k and n intake and they never threw a code on my 99

I know nothing about adjustable map sensors.... are they easy to install and easy to modify? I have done an extensive search throughout this forum and came up with a bunch of dead ends....

Since reading all the other posts, I'm a little concerned that with all the added performance mods I won't be able to pass emissions.

I have been looking into a Unichip.... if I had this installed and took it to a shop and had it custom tuned, would they be able to adjust everything electronically to make sure it was running correctly without throwing codes?

i have a cowl intake, 63mm TB, 99+ intake manifold, apn header, hi-flow cat, and a dynomax muffler.

0 problems passing emissions, 0 problems with an A/F ratio, the 4.0's computer does a very good job auto-adjusting, although an adjustable map is on my list. unhook the battery overnight to reset the ECU, then go for a drive, and drive normally. the ecu will re-adjust to the new shtuff you added.

as for the adj map, gojeep and dino saava both have writeups and info on their sites.

edit: and i has a bit of a "whoooosh" before i installed the new TB as well, then it disappeared. like someone else said, it was more than likely the bottle-necking of the stock TB making the noise.

thank you "93xjli"... your the first one to put my mind at ease! After my install of the exhaust on tuesday, I will do as you instructed and see what happens. thank you for your information!

Back