• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear door thumb hook R/R?

wgregt

NAXJA Forum User
88 XJ. I've got the hatch up, and the wife hit the garage door opener, which brought the garage door down, then reversed it, breaking off the black thumb catch ring/pull that goes around the lock on the rear gate and allows me to pull the rear gate up & open.

So... any idea HOW to swap this out, providing I can still get one? I looked at it thoroughly, and I can't see how it comes off/goes on. Any help?

-greg, [email protected]

I think it comes off with lock assembly....

You can clearly see the clip that must be pulled for the lock cylinder to come out. I used a pair of long needle nose pliars to pull my clip when I cleaned the lock cylinder. I didn't however pull on the thumb latch to determine if it comes off after the clip is out....
100_1299.jpg

100_1302.jpg

And you got to this clip by...taking off the interior of the rear gate?

Thanks for the fotos, BTW. They help a bit.

-greg

Mine broke several years ago and I've managed to live without it. Haven't come across any in JY and a lock set is too expensive (it comes as a set). If you find a cheap source, post it back here.

Saudade said:
Mine broke several years ago and I've managed to live without it. Haven't come across any in JY and a lock set is too expensive (it comes as a set). If you find a cheap source, post it back here.
I'm pretty cheap and I've got at least one laying around, possibly more. Either of you, let me know if you want one via pm.
-Collin

Team cherokee would be the place i would look.. They have the set-up last time i looked.. i need one for my 89, i'm going to order mine today

Damn! Looks like it pays to get up early with you guys! If anyone else has one, PM me. I'll take it!

-greg

TC does have it but it comes as a lock set with the tumbler and key. You'll find it under "Locks and Keys".

Got two today from a boneyard, as well as a full header panel, headlight doors, and all the trim. Thanks all!

-greg

Hidden headlights on an XJ?? Hmmmm......

Thats one heluva mod.......

I found the Hatch lock set on team cherokee just fine. It's both Locks and key and tailgate parts.

Thanks Collin!!! Took all of about 3 minutes to change.

Back