• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 question

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Is the LP d30 a standard or reverse rotation. I have a buddy with a ZJ who wants to re-gear

"Reverse rotation" is a misnomer, that came from the term "reverse cut" which pertains to the high pinion version of a ring and pinion set. Low pinion and high pinion gears both rotate the same way, otherwise you would need to re-gear your transfer case to rotate the drive shaft the opposite direction when swapping from a low pinion to a high pinion axle. This is not the case.

Simple answer that will get your buddy the right gears is no, the low pinion axle requires standard cut gears, not reverse cut or "reverse rotation".

X2
RockMonkey said:
"Reverse rotation" is a misnomer
if U think to swap the gear set of xj d30lp note that it's different from the one on zj d30lp, U can't swap between......

Last edited:
i know that its not actually the rotation direction i have just always heard reverse rotation so thats what i said. He is looking to go with 4.56s. anybody have some links?

'r needed more info, at least the year of the ZJ, seems there are two version of this kind of D30, if I'm not wrong is changed after '96.
Anyway is quite hard to find a gear for ZJ different from than stock.....
The easier way is to swap in an HP D30 from a donor XJ, I've done it on the one of my wife. Very easy todo, U get the XJ D30 remove everything from the ZJ D30, (the whole knuckle, brake system axles shaft, etc apart the diff), the axle is bolt on. The improvements are the HP so U reduce the shaft angle and more stronger gear, because the surface of the teets of a reverse cut is bigger than normal cut, the only thing that U loose is the adjusting system of the caster.
Then when U have the XJ D30 reverse cutis possible to find many gear ratio

Back