• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ overheated resulting in white smoke, what's the best fix

DJFriar

NAXJA Forum User
So, 1993 XJ, 4.0L AW4, 268k miles. Original owner appears to have not done a thing to it. Anyway, had some cooling issues, and replaced the upper hoses, forgot about the lower one. Of course, the lower one then gave way while on the freeway. By the time I could get it stopped, she was spewing white smoke. I let her cool for about 25 minutes, then drove her the 3 miles left to the house. She complained a lot during that time.

I had a Full Size Blazer (1994, 4x4, 350 V8, auto) so I've been using that for about 5 months, however I'd like to go back to driving the XJ, as it got much better gas mileage, and was more fun to drive around.

What is the best way to repair her? I need her to be daily drivable. Do I need to do a whole engine swap, or would just a head swap likely fix her up?

If I do a swap, should I go with a short block or a long block?

I am pretty much limited in funds by what I can sell/trade the Blazer for.

Do you still get white smoke, or was that only when it was hot? It's hard to sort things out if you blow a hose on a hot engine, and if it sprayed water all over the place, it might well have fouled the ignition or other sensors. Have you tried it at all since you limped it home?

If it's still smoking white, I'd start with a compression and radiator pressure test, and see what it says. A head gasket seems the likeliest first step. 4.0's are pretty tough, so it may not have done any further damage. If the engine ends up with good compression, and doesn't knock, I'd just button it up and go.

I have tried it a few times just to move the vehicle. White smoke is intermittent, but you can tell how she runs that somethings not right.

I haven't tried a compression test, I may have to try that.

Sounds like a blown head gasket as a first guess. If you were having cooling problems before the hose blew, I wouldn't be too surprised if the head gasket was already going. If you can get hold of a radiator pressure tester, that is also a pretty good way of checking for head gasket problems. But if it's blowing smoke and running badly, compression or vacuum should tell you quickly enough.

Back