• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keep it OR Dump it Dana44

RRT

NAXJA Forum User
So I was all excited about the D44 I picked up at the arlington Pull-A-Part. It had everything I need:
1) Manual hubs
2) Over the knuckle steering
3) Disc brakes
& it was already partially removed from vehicle. "PERFECT!" I thought as I finished removal & calling people to help me haul it outta there because it would not go into the back of my Durango. Well this is where the story gets ugly.
Today I started mocking up the differential & getting ready to weld on the mounts I had bought when I saw something strange. Then I put all my tools away & went into the house to pout a bit.

The low pinion D44 I drug home is in fact a PASSENGER side diff. Apparently I have once again NOT done all of my home work. I was under the impression ALL Waggy D44 front diff's were in fact left side dump. WHERE did I go wrong & is it worth the work of re-tubing it to work in my rig???

This is the parts where you all can start laughing & lend some advise!!!
Thanks!
Rick

How do you remove an entire axle, haul it home, and get ready to prep it for your vehicle without noticing this? Isn't that the first thing you would have noticed when you saw it "partially removed" from the vehicle? I am just scratching my head on this one while trying not to sound too critical, but seriously folks! muahahahaha!

Dump it. Not worth the time or money to have your Jeep work with it.

Earlier Wagoneers were passenger side drop.

It's not worth retubing, and the later model ones had different length shafts IIRC.

Maybe the yard will take it back for trade on a drivers drop Wagyy 44? Or better yet a HP44 from a Ford PU (search for the right HP44 info. first!)

That is my plan. I did call & they will take it back. This is one of them moments when you call your self all kinds of interesting names.:gonnablow OH WELL! Live & learn, right??? That is probably why it was have way removed from the vehicle in the first place.

Rick,
I am far from an expert on all of the D44 fronts and there advantages so I am not going to comment on this particular axle and if it is or is not worth anything. I have seen lots of Waggy D44's for next to nothing on line.

If this is a great D44 and worth keeping I would probably consider a 300 transfer case over a re-tube of the axles. Just something to consider.

Michael

2xtreme said:
If this is a great D44 and worth keeping I would probably consider a 300 transfer case over a re-tube of the axles. Just something to consider.

Hey that'd be cool...then he could make a custom header and downpipe to re-route the exhaust to the driver side.

ECKSJAY said:
Hey that'd be cool...then he could make a custom header and downpipe to re-route the exhaust to the driver side.

I could just run the pipes through the hood like the swamp buggies!! :spin1:

I will return the one I bought... no big deal & keep looking....like I said "Live & Learn" :flame:

Yeah I would return it and get your money back and get a HP44 out of a ford 77+ bronco or 75+f150.. I have one from a 78 F150 with cast wedges sitting in a 79 truck up in bellingham..

ECKSJAY said:

I don't know what is wrong with your 4.0 but mine already has the downpipe on the drivers side. Now don't get me wrong there are probably a few other mods that would have to be looked at but there are a number of XJ's with 300's in them and it is very doable. It was only a suggestion of something else to consider :kissyou:

Michael

2xtreme said:
I don't know what is wrong with your 4.0 but mine already has the downpipe on the drivers side. Now don't get me wrong there are probably a few other mods that would have to be looked at but there are a number of XJ's with 300's in them and it is very doable. It was only a suggestion of something else to consider :kissyou:

Michael

Yeah, I looked again and my entire exhaust routes all the way back on the driver side. It wraps around my front driveshaft and around the t-case. :looser: Not sure what I was thinking. :dunno:

Back