• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-gearing

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have an opportunity to get some 4.11 gears (I have 3.55's now). Wondering if I should bite on it.

http://chico.craigslist.org/pts/811458270.html

I have a D-30 front (vac disco I converted to posi-lock and D-35c rear, no lockers).

3 questions:

1.) What do I need besides these gears to re-gear (bearings, seals etc.)
2.) What is the advantage to re-gearing (I'm running 31's)
3.) Is this a highly technical job or just a weekend project. I can turn a wrench, willing and able to tackle a new project.

TIA for any advice

I did gears, master rebuild kits, and rear bearings.

20 minute break in, cool overnight. 500 mile break in, check wear, change fluid. I used Royal Purple. Heavy duty in the back.

A lot of people will tell you not to put a dime into the D35. 31 inch tires are the upper limit for this axle... I have seen a few let go with with the stock All season radials and a heavy foot.

I would be one of them. Do not put any money into a D35. 4.10 is about right for re-gearing and 31's

It would be better to snag a 29-spline 8.25 and gear that. The choice then is 4.11 vs 4.56... If you do the math I believe ideally you want about 4.2 but they do not make that ratio so you have to choose the 4.11 or the 4.56

If you have any interest in going bigger 31, the 4.56 would be a better bet.

I currently have 3.55 and 31's and it bites.. I even live in a flat part of Michigan and my tranny is always grabbing gears even out on the highway.

JAS said:
A lot of people will tell you not to put a dime into the D35. 31 inch tires are the upper limit for this

Thanks for that opinion, I've been running 31's in a D-35c on 3.55's for five years with no ill effects. Anyone else??

It's interesting to note that there can be 120 responses on what kind of oil to run in a 4.0 or what size windshield wiper to use but nobody can give me an answer on an actual tech issue. What gives.

Last edited:
D35's: If you're removing one, it's OK. If you're working on one, you fail.

If you are staying with 31 tires, I would not spend the money to regear to just 4.10.

I started with 3.55 gears on 32s . Ran for 2 years intill I regeared to 4.88 and 35 tires.

Iam sure at some piont you will want bigger tires. Then spend your hard earned money on gears and bigger tires.

Hope this helps good luck. Nick

Used gears can be extremely difficult to set up.
YJ's are HP D30's.

If you want to put money in your difs, spend it on a lunchbox locker. 35s might be weak, but my kid has a locker in is his & it's money well spent since he's only running 31"s. 3.55s & 31"s have worked well for me for years.

Back