• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can a leaky steering box or pressurized hose cause this..

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
..much crap and grim all over the engine? It was a slow leak that never got attended to for atleast a year I bet. Never (since I have had the Jeep) dropped any fluid on the ground, but the engine bay (valve covers/maifold/steering box/hoses) are caked in crud.

Reason I ask is I have a newer steering box and hoses on the way and I hope this solves the issue. The Jeep runs very well, but I was wonder if the valve cover or something else could also be leaking?

pics:

notice the wet looking area on the manifold and how gunky the entire engine is.

engine1.jpg

Then again the steering box/hoses are worse:

engine3.jpg

I am hoping its just gotten this bad from neglect, I was told if the pressurized hose is leaking it can spray the entire engine bay.

What are symtoms of a bad head gasket, etc? just incase...

mine did that after it got overfilled and the expanded fluid came out the top. clean it all down with some degreaser and see if you can find a leak is about all I can suggest

dzraces said:
mine did that after it got overfilled and the expanded fluid came out the top. clean it all down with some degreaser and see if you can find a leak is about all I can suggest

I've already tried that, lol not much better. One my hands are too big to get into all the tight spots, but it is definately leaking at the box or pressurized hose, I just didn't know if that is enough to cause this much crud?

Most likly it the high pressure hose. But if your rig is an automatic, you have a couple of tranny cooling lines that lay on top of the power steering box that could be leaking as well. There is also a low pressure return hose the pump which is just held on using hose clamps. To get a better look take out the air box and aux. electric fan, it should let you get a real good look at all the hoses in that area.

Ahhhh, in the second picture the hard tube is BUSTED ISN'T IT???

Perhaps you could start by looking there for your leak!

Lonestar said:
Most likly it the high pressure hose. But if your rig is an automatic, you have a couple of tranny cooling lines that lay on top of the power steering box that could be leaking as well. There is also a low pressure return hose the pump which is just held on using hose clamps. To get a better look take out the air box and aux. electric fan, it should let you get a real good look at all the hoses in that area.

Its the steering cause the fluid was loooow when I got the Jeep. Plus after drivng it awhile it can see a little drip off the bottom of the box, but it won't leak any just sitting.

90xj06 said:
looks like a clamp holding the hose to the mount.

it is

Any leak that is significant enough to lower fluid levels will make a bigger mess than you think. Get a pump spray bottle like those for kitchen cleaners, and put, say, a tablespoon of oil in it, and then see how much surface you can cover...

Expect some seepage from various parts of any engine over time. I wouldn't worry unless there are puddles. It's always a good idea to check torques on valve cover and oil pan from time to time, though, and to give the engine a good cleaning occasionally too (being careful not to drown any sensors).

Back