• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C and Cruise Control Don't Work

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ Classic and neither the A/C nor the Cruise Control work. I haven't looked into either at all, but I wanted to see if anyone can tell me what the most probable causes could be before I get into them.

The A/C doesn't click or anything when I turn it on, so I assume that means the clutch is not engaging. Could it just be an electrical issue, or more serious?

Cruise control light comes on in the guage cluster when I turn it on, but the set, coast, resume, etc. buttons don't work. Again, just an electrical thing or more serious?

Any input is appreciated!

In your front bumper, towards the passenger side, there is a vacume canister. One of the lines to/from it is disconnected or broken.

I had the same problem on my 90. After a year of fighting with the thing I finally tracked it down to a bad discombobulator module in the front bumper.

I agree that you probably have a vacume leak. The vac line connects to the intake manifold on the driver's side below the throttle body. It then follows the firewall to the passenger side where it tee's off for the AC controls and then goes to the cruise servo with another tee. Then if finally goes behind the front corner of the bumper to the vac canister. A leak anywhere in the line will cause your problems.

When you turn the fan on high, does it only blow out the defrost vents? If so, it's definitely a vac leak.

However, a vac leak would not prevent the ac compressor from engaging. You may simply be low on refrigerant.

Does the horn work? If not might be a broken clock spring. When it breaks you lose A/C, Cruise, and horn. Hope this helps. Oh and your air bag light will come on.

xpanicax said:
Does the horn work? If not might be a broken clock spring. When it breaks you lose A/C, Cruise, and horn. Hope this helps. Oh and your air bag light will come on.

WTF is a clock spring?

xpanicax said:
might be a broken clock spring. When it breaks you lose A/C,

Doesn't work that way. The clock spring has no interaction with the A/C system.

The clock spring maintains the electrical connections of the steering wheel mounted features (cruise, horn, and air bag) while you drive. A bad clock spring will light the Check Engine Lamp.

Check for a proper amount of R143 coolant in the A/C system. Check for a vacuum leak.

"clock spring" I though it only affected the turn signal reset? Is it really called a "Clock" spring?

Thanks for all of the input! I'll have to check the vacuum lines. My horn works fine and I don't have an airbag or check engine light on, so it's not that clock spring.

So, it sounds like the vacuum line is the main culprit. Is there a specific spot that is prone to breaks that I should check or just check the entire line.
Any other common culprits I should check???

jeepster_259 said:
Thanks for all of the input! I'll have to check the vacuum lines. My horn works fine and I don't have an airbag or check engine light on, so it's not that clock spring.

So, it sounds like the vacuum line is the main culprit. Is there a specific spot that is prone to breaks that I should check or just check the entire line.
Any other common culprits I should check???

Many vacum lines! Under the hood and under the dash.

One prone place is under the battery box. The vac lines run to the vacuum reservoir (behind the pass side front bumper) and pass under the battery box. If you ever crashed and banged up the front bumper, the lines there could be damaged.

Check near the firewall passenger side for the AC vac lines and between the AC expansion valve on the firewall, passenger side, and the Cruise control assy on the firewall. Also check the vac lines around the intake manifold.

Back