• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

powertrax no slip acting wierd

snow drifter

NAXJA Forum User
Chrysler 8.25 rear end. Symptoms are loud clicking all the time around corners. Never did that before. Horrible road manners. Almost like it's locked all the time, although I know it's not. The main thing is from a stop. If I accelerate hard it'll slip. Just sit there and grind, Jeep not moving, until I back off the throttle. Then it'll lock and give me a chirp out of the tires and I start to move. I cracked open the rear end to have a look. Nothing looks out of the ordinary? No springs laying in the bottom, or any metal shavings anywhere. All the springs are fully seated in the slots of the locker. I refilled with new synthetic, took it for a spin and the same thing. Any ideas anyone? I'm thinking possibly the springs in the locker are failing / wore out. I have about 35k on the locker, mostly highway miles. Thanks for reading.

35,000 miles? Yeah, you may need a new set of springs. I forget what the recommended replacement interval is. But I'm on my third set in the 8.25.

if its not moving when you hit it hard then its not locked on either side. I had the cross pin break on my front no slip and did the same thing since the carrier could spin without turning the shafts.

put it up on stands and see how it acts when you hold it in place on one side and try and turn the other. could be its wore out or the springs are to soft now.

Hey, thanks for the reply's guys. I'm going to take it apart tommorow, and order some new springs for it. Also a new twist is, today I took it out to some mud to see what was really going on. Had my daughter stand way behind and tell me what tires were spinning. Sure enough, 1 tire frier! Powertrax isn't even locking now. One wheel drive. I'll completely disasemble, replace worn hardware and reinstall and hopefully I'll get it figured out. Thanks again

You can get a new spring kit directly from Richmond Gear or places like Randy's R&P, which is where I got mine. Doesn't hurt to buy two or three sets, so that you have them when you need them.

You also need to make sure the clearances are set right. You might need to reshim it.
My front would not lock all the time. Once I got it into speck it was great.

Sounds like a captive spacer is broken. Mine had the exact symptoms.

Look for this inside...

11tlc8y.jpg

you can order all replacement parts from summitracing.com
If your unsure about part numbers, call richmond gear, they will give you the correct part numbers to order from summit.

Back