• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which 4.5" lift? Want to run 33".

Graeme

NAXJA Forum User
I am finally getting ready to take the plunge, and will be building my 2000 XJ up this winter.

I want to run 33" tires, and I am going to take my flares off(the fronts aready popped off), so I can trim in order to fit 33's on a 4.5 inch lift.

What lift to get? Myself and another guy at work are trying to decide. The RC kit is cheap, and some knock it, and some say it's fine. It doesn't seem to include a track bar...isn't this required for this much lift?

There is an RE super flex for not much more on 4x4 group buy. Probably a better choice?

What about Rock Krawler kits?

Going to run a PORC SYE with it...

you probably wont have to trim anything in order to fit 33's on a 4.5" lift. I fit 31's on a 1.5" lift...

So do the math... you will have plenty of room, especially since your new kit will probably have new springs all around and not the factory sag.

Your definatly going to have to trim the fenders. Maybe with the sway bars connected you wont rub, but when they are unhooked they will rub. I have 31's on a 2" lift and rub at full stuff like clockwork.

As for the lift, you should get what will suit you best. If your going to be on the trails ALL the time with this rig, RE is hard to beat. Rough Country is nice, but I believe to be the more suitable lift for DD/Trail rigs.

rubbing/trimming depends on how much backspacing the wheels have and how long the bumpstops are.

yes, you will need an adjustable trackbar at 4.5" of lift.

I'm a big fan of the RE 4.5" superflex kit, but add the RE 1660 and 1665 HD trackbar and bracket. PM "loose-nuts-enterprises" or "fullsizexj" and ask about doing that kit with the upgraded trackbar, they may beat 4x4groupbuy.

Rough Country offers the best customer service in the industry, and their components are of good quality, but their 4.5" kit does not offer upper control arms, a rear leaf pack, or a trackbar (they re-drill the mounting hole for the stock trackbar, which does not address the angles of the TRE at the top).

If you could talk to rough country about adding a rear leaf pack (3.5" + shackle), UCA's and a trackbar (that does not use any TRE end at all) you could consider going that route. PM "roughcountry" and ask about it.

-C

I just got the rough county 4.5 inch lift and I am very happy with it. I run 33's and trimmed finders. I still need to trim a little more tho

Eeewww...AAL on a 4.5" ? Ugh.

RE6130, with upgrades to the RE1600, 1665, and 1670 HD Trackbar and Brace on mine. Trimming was necessary for 32s, even more for the 33x10.50 I've got on there now with 15x7 rims with 4" backspace. The Drop Brackets were added after the lift, but I'd definitely recommend them at that height.

Jason @ Jeepin.com and Dirk @ DPGOffroad have hooked me up in the past.

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/myjeep.html

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I'm running 5" of lift and the fenders are trimmed as far as I can go in the rear and to the edge of the metal flare in the front and I rub with 32's. My rig flexes good with full Johnny Joints in the front though. I've had to bumpstop the heck out of the front and made some DPG style rear adjustables.

You will have to trim with 4.5" lift, 33's if it flexes good or you will have to bumpstop it or both.

RE 4.5 Superflex been running mine for over two years no problems excellant lift.

With enough fender trimming and bump stops you will be fine.

Good Luck Nick

If you get a kit that comes with a trackbar relocation bracket, throw it in the trash and get an adjustable trackbar :)

TunaSoda said:
If you get a kit that comes with a trackbar relocation bracket, throw it in the trash and get an adjustable trackbar :)
That's why I made the recommendation I did. RE will credit for removed parts (the standard trackbar) and add the HD Trackbar, Bracket and Brace in there. It's a very good investment. You can also get credit for removing the RE swaybar discos and upgrading to JKS Quicker Discos.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I ran my RE superflex kit with full packs for a while, I jsut bend the trackbar and upgraded to a TNT trackbar which is a simpler, stronger design IMO. I have also gone to long arms (claytons) but consider I was able to wheel the same trails unlockered as those with a locker (TSL's and the RE 4.5" kit). It's a super flexy lift. and with proper trimming and sways disco'd you're going to have a blast with it.

is the superflex the same as long arm? i am running stock lift on 31s with 4 inch backspacing. i have trimmed already. it rubs a little when i do a full turn to left/right.

JCDP2005 said:
is the superflex the same as long arm? i am running stock lift on 31s with 4 inch backspacing. i have trimmed already. it rubs a little when i do a full turn to left/right.
No.

RE uses "Super-Ride" and "Super-Flex" to describe their lift offerings. SR uses OEM rubber bushings in each end of the control arm, giving stock-like ride and stock-like flex. SF lifts use a heim joint in a nylon pocket on the axle end of the control arm, giving a slightly rougher ride and better flex.

Long arms replace the factory "short arm" design with much longer lower arms that are mounted much farther back on the body.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Thanks Yucca-Man. That helps out alot.

Don't forget DPG Offroad for RE stuff either. They're also a NAXJA sponsor. He's always done me right and is a great guy to deal with.

DPG also has their TrailGunner springs. I run their coils and think they're great. I'd love to snag a set of their leafs in the future, I've read nothing but good things about them.

www.dpgoffroad.com

By the time you do that, you're almost at the RE 5.5" kit with drop brackets. The DB's give back the droop that you loose without them. The 5.5 ED kit has great articulation, and works very well with 33's. No matter what you're going to be trimming unless you never leave the mall. :) RE has good stuff, either the 4.5" or 5.5" kit.

Someone on socal just tossed a set of the trailgunner springs on there, maybe time for a long term review??

By the time you do that, you're almost at the RE 5.5" kit with drop brackets. The DB's give back the droop that you loose without them. The 5.5 ED kit has great articulation, and works very well with 33's. No matter what you're going to be trimming unless you never leave the mall. :) RE has good stuff, either the 4.5" or 5.5" kit.
That's where I'm at - I've got basically an RE6130+ 4.5" kit:

Basic RE6130 4.5"
RE Drop Brackets
Adjustable LCA
RE HD Trackbar Brace
33x10.50 BFG MT on 15x7 AR767 rims with 4" backspace

Just spent the last couple hours in the driveway with a grinder and TJ flares...unless I bumpstop all the uptravel out of the lift, the 33s will rub when turning and mildly stuffing them. I never had that problem with 32" Dunlop Mud Rovers, but :shrug:

Still thinking about possibly adding a short spacer and add-a-leaf to get off the tires a little further.

Jim http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/myjeep.html

Back